Snooker Halls

When I was a young 'lary' in Sheffield I spent nights in the snooker halls. Mis-spent youth do I hear?

In those days they were very much places for men and the game was taken very seriously.

They were very popular and I'm sure some of you have some great stories or recollections of these places.

Yeah spent a few months of my life in Langtons on Heeley Bottom, used to bunk of school for a few games.

There used to be a snooker hall next to the Hillsboro Park Cinema on Catch Bar Lane S6. In the 1950s and 60s it was patronised so frequently by virtually all the professional footballers from the nearby club , that it was know locally as Wednesday's Training Ground.

The one I used to go to was up above Shiregreen Reading Rooms

opposite the Shiregreen Methodist Chapel..I was playing Snooker there when I should have been going to Nightschool ...More mis-spent youth...It's all gone now.

Langtons on Heeley Bottom

Is that where Potter's is now?

We go there sometimes, it's a bit dillapidated - still has pictures of higgins and thorbourne etc painted on the wall.

Good place though.

Originally posted by redblade

There used to be a snooker hall next to the Hillsboro Park Cinema on Catch Bar Lane S6. In the 1950s and 60s it was patronised so frequently by virtually all the professional footballers from the nearby club , that it was know locally as Wednesday's Training Ground.

put lights on 13 pop n a bottle of vimto, remember the old blokes playing chase the green ... and golf i think they called it white on red yellow on green brown on blue .....round all the pockets....spoof do they still play that ? then round the corner for a meat n tater pie with hendersons necter.....then long walk home in the snow or ******* rain

Does anyone remember the snooker hall under the Abbeydale Cinema, which I thought in those days was the ultimate.

15 years old, thinking you were 18, and smoking a packet of Woodbines. Yugh !!.

There was a snooker hall under the Manor Cinema as well,we used to go in there for a penny bash (4 of us one penny each)if you hit the cue ball hard enough it might just make it to the bottom of the table and back

Most of Burton the Tailors shops had a snooker hall over the stores as well

Originally posted by tonyland

Does anyone remember the snooker hall under the Abbeydale Cinema, which I thought in those days was the ultimate.

We used to call in there on the way home from school sometimes and the one on the corner of Broadfield Road [i think the one Mikey refers to above].

Would have been 1954/55.

There was also a snooker hall over a block of shops on Ecclesall Road. I think it was owned by Joe Davis who was world champion at both billiards and snooker for many years. I believe he came from Chesterfield. He also had a brother who was quite good too!

Just a thought. The abovementioned snooker hall, after the war we used to play ‘golf’ on the snooker tables there. When I came to Manchester nobody had ever heard of ‘golf’ so I suspect it might have been one of Sheffield’s own games. Is it still played today, and if not why? It was a good game that lasted much longer than a game of snooker!

Is that where Potter's is now?

Potters Snooker Club was on Gleadless Road and was burnt down about a year ago. I think apartments are to be built on the site.