Who remembers the Rag & Bone Men

HI Poppins maybe ill beat oldlad to it, Idont think the marrow would be left in the bones in those days, as it would be retained by the housewife for the soup, the rag men used to get so much per hundredwieght from the glue factory for the bones. Arthur.80 plus!

Artie, you mean to say they Did actually collect BONES, bones from what?

you mean like left over stew bones after cooking ?

I imagine so, dont forget they also did a lot of slaughtering in their own back yards in the 19th century and about that time. It was not unusual for people to keep pigs in the gardens. We do not realise how times have changed.

Until very recently old people were reluctant to go into the Infirmaries in many towns and cities as they used to be the old Workhouses, which had been converted to hospitals.

The poor old souls thought they were being sent to prison, not hospital.

All this is within living memory of very old people.

I remember the rag and bone men and I used to rush outside

with my bundle and had a choice of a goldfish or clothes pegs,

the goldfish always won.

A friend of mine who is slightly older seems to remember exchanging

her bundle for a baby chick.

This never happened to me but wonder if others where as lucky.

I don't know if anyone else remembers but I have a distant memory

of mum saving old clothes to be weighed in exchange for money near the

old market in Sheffield.

Hope this helps

Cher

As a kid living in a mining village near Doncaster, the rag and bone man, Mr Guest, used to live opposite our house.

At the end of his round he often used to take the kids off our street for a ride on his cart to the end of the road and back.

Happy days :)

I remember one who used to come to Parson Cross and yell unintelligable stuff at the top of his lungs.

At the cry of `hoyuuuuuurarrrgh ya!` all the kids would nick their parents washing off the line, stuff from wardrobes even their own clothes and take them to him for a balloon.

Ahhh the slaps I used to get when my dad realised his best suit was on the back of that wagon...

when i was a kid and lived on cliffe i nicked the ragmans horse and cart

from zion lane and got caught on worksop road he gave me a good

scuff

I remember one who used to come to Parson Cross and yell unintelligable stuff at the top of his lungs.

At the cry of `hoyuuuuuurarrrgh ya!` all the kids would nick their parents washing off the line, stuff from wardrobes even their own clothes and take them to him for a balloon.

Ahhh the slaps I used to get when my dad realised his best suit was on the back of that wagon...

Yes when I lived at Parson Cross I remember a man and his cart yelling the same stuff, those were the days.

The one I remember was at Shiregreen when i staye at my Nans, shed send me out with a carrier bags of rags. People would also go round collecting the horse manure for their gardens after.

There was one that used to come round randomly when i was a nipper in Rotherham, (Brecks area), I also seem to recall one around Siregreen a few years back

I remember them coming round Crosspool in the '50s. A friend of mine claimed that some 'bone men shouted 'Donkeystone for old rags.' Donkeystone, I think being white stuff used to whiten front door steps.

yeah used to give the kids balloons when you gave him something and back then i was happy to get one,now kids would just look at him gone out.