Passive Smoking

What do you think of passive smoking?  

137 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of passive smoking?

• I smoke and feel I should be able to smoke anywhere.
    • I smoke but believe it right to protect non-smokers.
    • I don't smoke but don't mind other people's smoke.
    • I don't like smoke but feel obliged to put up with it.
    • I don't like smoke and feel I should be entitled to protection from it.

Originally posted by mojoworking

While emission control in cars is plainly a good thing, any benefits have been wiped out by the growth in car numbers. There are now 50% more cars on UK roads than in 1983. In another 20 years that figure is expected to increase by a similar amount. So, emission control amounts to nothing more than running hard to stay in the same place. Bring on electric and solar cars!

(I do realise that if we'd had no emission control at all, things would be much worse, BTW)

Mojo: not a greenie

Although I take the point about cars being a sourse of pollution there is a difference because a car has many benefits too. The same cannot be said of cigarettes. As I have said before the only people who benefit from cigarettes are the owners of the tobacco companies.

My own views on passive smoking are that historically there has been far too much weight given to smokers' arguments about their so called rights and too little to protecting non-smokers.

Although there have been some welcome changes in recent years things still haven't moved far enough in the direction of non-smokers.

The basic problem I have with the arguments of smokers is that they feel it should be up to them whether or not I as a non-smoker should be protected, whereas I feel it should be up to me. I have never yet been in a pub, bar,club, etc where somebody has gone around everyone present (including strangers) and asked if they mind them smoking. For this reason I believe government should act and ban smoking from public places. Remember, even then you will still be able to smoke in your own home, car etc so it is hardly a total ban.

Voting update... Well after 55 votes there is a measley 25% who think it's ok as it is ... and that includes 20% of very tolerant non smokers!

Originally posted by slimsid2000

My own view on passive smoking are that historically there has been far too much weight given to smokers' arguments about their so called rights and too little to protecting non-smokers.

There has been no historical debate on this issue as it's only in the last few decades that the health affects of smoking have been widely publicised and only in the last decade has smoking become less and less socially acceptable.

One point I cannot stress enough in this debate is that I am in favour of a ban on smoking in public, not a ban on smoking. Afterall, there are many things which we cannot do in public but are perfectly ok in private.

i am a smoker,and quite a heavy one too.

i try where possible not to smoke in the presence of non smokers when out and about,and always either move or put it out if requested.

would a ban on smoking in public include driving your car?

fine in the street or on trains buses planes etc i could live with that,but i love a fag when driving:D

Originally posted by gizmo

i am a smoker,and quite a heavy one too.

i try where possible not to smoke in the presence of non smokers when out and about,and always either move or put it out if requested.

would a ban on smoking in public include driving your car?

fine in the street or on trains buses planes etc i could live with that,but i love a fag when driving:D

i notice that the some of the 2004 Vauxhall models don't have ashtrays, but do have cigarette lighters. could always use the floor, I suppose.

im a smoker who is considerate to other people. or i at least like to think i am! lol

personally i wouldnt want to go for a nite out with friends where i have to keep going outside in the rain and the cold to have a cigarette and im sure many people would feel the same.

so what about the business that would lose alot of money and possibly be forced to close because they cannot keep their places open through lose of profit??

im surre people will say this wont happen but look at the recent experiment.they lost to much money and had to reinstate it.

simple solution is have seperate rooms for smokers and non smokers.then everyone has a choice and people can stop bloody moanin!!

Originally posted by Killian

i notice that the some of the 2004 Vauxhall models don't have ashtrays, but do have cigarette lighters. could always use the floor, I suppose.

I already do Killian,i usually hoover it out when the pile reaches about 3 inches high lol

Smokers should see their Doctor for good advice and help.

When you get lung disease it's too late and your family will miss you. :D

Originally posted by gizmo

I already do Killian,i usually hoover it out when the pile reaches about 3 inches high lol

good idea. wait till the floor's full and then use the ashtrays :thumbsup:

Originally posted by Killian

good idea. wait till the floor's full and then use the ashtrays :thumbsup:

The car ashtray is usually a good source of long tab ends when your desperate:thumbsup: