Sheffield City Airport megathread

Manchester Airport is so easy by train but unfortunately they stop at midnight ish. However Doncaster is the same really.

I wont even consider Leeds/Bradford. Its a pain to get to.

Manchester Airport is so easy by train but unfortunately they stop at midnight ish. However Doncaster is the same really.

I wont even consider Leeds/Bradford. Its a pain to get to.

What about East Midlands airport? How easy to get there with public transport?

Not quite as easy, train to East Midlands Parkway and connecting bus I think.

Manchester is easiest by public transport, but basically impossible for any flight before 0800.

I used to use the Airport a lot. It was great for flying to Schipol and then onwards from there.

The big problem was the flights were often late and if you missed the connection you could be waiting hours and sometimes days. If they had sorted that out I dont think it would have closed.

Not quite as easy, train to East Midlands Parkway and connecting bus I think.

Manchester is easiest by public transport, but basically impossible for any flight before 0800.

East Midlands isnt that bad. You get a train (which also stop at midnight) & then a shuttle bus service from the train station to the Airport terminal.

If your not bothered about public transport then national express is fine. They can usually dont take much longer then the train as there's hardly any traffic in the middle of the night.

Manchester & East Midlands are about an hour away.

Edited by SaferSheff

East Midlands isnt that bad. You get a train (which also stop at midnight) & then a shuttle bus service from the train station to the Airport terminal....

A few people think that East Midlands Airport is connected by bus to East Midlands Parkway station- this is incorrect and there not even a taxi service unless booked in advance.

There are buses from Nottingham, Loughborough and Leicester but the best connections are by using a bus from outside Derby train station.

Train and bus singles/day return from Sheffield Station fares from:

(More before 09:30)

£12.00 for an adult (plus one child under 16)

£6.00 for a senior citizen (aged 60 or over), a child under 16*, or a holder of a Gold Card or other English National Concessionary Travel Scheme (ENCTS) pass

£22.00 for a group of up to two adults and up to three children*

There are overnight coach services from Sheffield Interchange to East Midlands

First train to MAN is at 0325 arrives 0541.

Edited by Annie Bynnol

I used to use the Airport a lot. It was great for flying to Schipol and then onwards from there.

The big problem was the flights were often late and if you missed the connection you could be waiting hours and sometimes days. If they had sorted that out I dont think it would have closed.

If they had invested in a ground approach radar it wouldn't have closed.

We have Coal Aston "International" airport on our doorstep.

Two hours direct to Le Touquet in France, or 2 hours 20 mins to Midden Zeeland in Holland, no queues, no passport control ( until you land in Europe) who could ask for more..:hihi::hihi:

East Midlands isnt that bad. You get a train (which also stop at midnight) & then a shuttle bus service from the train station to the Airport terminal.

If your not bothered about public transport then national express is fine. They can usually dont take much longer then the train as there's hardly any traffic in the middle of the night.

Manchester & East Midlands are about an hour away.

Although I don't need to fly often, now, when I did I used National Express a lot, both for East Midlands and Heathrow. From what I remember, even the time to Heathrow was reasonable when compared to the train, especially as I didn't need to change in London.

Also, the coaches used to run through the night.

Isn't Netherthorpe Airfield closer?

Out of interest, how many flights to europe to you have to make before it's cheaper to own/rent a small plane and fly yourself?

---------- Post added 21-01-2015 at 13:33 ----------

I usually just park in jetparks 1 or 2 at Manchester, £29.99 for a weeks parking, 1 - 1.5hrs to the airport, 10 mins or less on the shuttle bus.

Although we are using the train for a trip to Dublin, since it's an evening flight on a Friday and only a weekends worth of luggage.

A few people think that East Midlands Airport is connected by bus to East Midlands Parkway station- this is incorrect and there not even a taxi service unless booked in advance.

There are buses from Nottingham, Loughborough and Leicester but the best connections are by using a bus from outside Derby train station.

Train and bus singles/day return from Sheffield Station fares from:

(More before 09:30)

£12.00 for an adult (plus one child under 16)

£6.00 for a senior citizen (aged 60 or over), a child under 16*, or a holder of a Gold Card or other English National Concessionary Travel Scheme (ENCTS) pass

£22.00 for a group of up to two adults and up to three children*

There are overnight coach services from Sheffield Interchange to East Midlands

First train to MAN is at 0325 arrives 0541.

Ive used the airport twice and both times we used what we called 'The Party Bus' from the train station.

Was a few years ago now though so probably has changed.

Another thing to note is how many people are travelling. A taxi split between 4 adults can cost the same as 4 train tickets.