When a story becomes a battle of attrition...

I think it comes down to personality types- in business people are referred to as 'planners', 'starters', 'co-ordinators' and 'completer/finishers' according to where their natural motivations lie.

It's a funny thing, but ever since I did one of those persoanlity tests that labelled me as a 100% anal-retentive completer finisher, I haven't been able to finish anything hardly.

I'm not a strong finisher(previous girlfriends will confirm this:hihi: ), so I sympathise with the problems people have when it comes to the final 'slog'.Bearing this in mind, would it be possible to post WIP's or part completed works?Just a thought, and maybe having feedback during the writing, rather than when its completed, will inspire the writer?

I'm not a strong finisher(previous girlfriends will confirm this:hihi: ), so I sympathise with the problems people have when it comes to the final 'slog'.Bearing this in mind, would it be possible to post WIP's or part completed works?Just a thought, and maybe having feedback during the writing, rather than when its completed, will inspire the writer?

I can't see any problem with doing this at all. Part works and extracts from longer pieces will be acceptable generally. Of course it is hoped you will submit shorter works in complete form from time to time. :)

Bear in mind whilst the uploaded work will only be available to see on a "closed" part of the Writing Group by other Writing Members, any requested tips, advice and a constructive critique (if you request it) can be posted by other Writing Members on the "open" part of the Group Forum Section.

Sounds complicated but in reality it works simply. I shall post a "Sticky" Thread with details of how it all works, and what to do very, very soon. Please read the "How to become a Member of the Writing Group" Sticky Thread I posted earlier this afternoon. It will be informative.

Jabberwocky - you'll come up with more than that one for the Group, I guarantee it!!

I used to be crap at starting stuff up - now it's just the finishing.

ever do that thing where you start a story and each erson adds a sentance..?? can you imagine doing it here? someone starts a post with a small paragraph and we each in turn follow...

i know the logistics of simultaneous postings means it wouldn't work, but a novel idea non the less (no pun intended!)

I dont want any of my writing to be a battle of attrition(shall have to look the meaning of that word up), because I wont enjoy it if that happens.I dont know wether it will happen,but I hope that when Im writing a story,I cant stop writing. :huh:

ever do that thing where you start a story and each erson adds a sentance..?? can you imagine doing it here? someone starts a post with a small paragraph and we each in turn follow...

Funny, I was thinking about that the other day. It would be interesting to see where the story would take us with all these different writers/ writers-to-be involved !! :lol:

I know imagine the twists and turns when we get such varied writers, I mean imagine having Jabberwockys contribution and then Shoeshines...it would be like Pratchett meets Dickens!!

N.B. No offence to the choice of authors associated...completely judgemental on my part and not nessecarily a reflection of writing style nor personailty...and now that I've finished back tracking somewhat....I do believe you have quite gotten the point!

I've never written a short story..... well, not since school, which was 42 years ago! :help:

I've never written a short story..... well, not since school, which was 42 years ago! :help:

I have never, ever written any stories!

Mind you I have had to make a few up in my time. :hihi:

Endings are hellish...I'm definitely a starter, less of a planner, and not much at completing. I've often thought maybe I should start at the end and work towards that. Then if I couldn't think of a decent ending, I'd know better than to start in the first place. Or something.:P

Its interesting getting other people perspective on the problems they face when writing - but then I guess thats partly what the group was set up for:)

As for me, the piece im working on at the moment(which should be my first submission to the group if I dont get fed up/realise its pants, delete as applicable) will be the very first time ive written down a plan for a story - that is plotting out in rough detail the beginning/middle/end of the story rather than just going with the flow.Should be interesting.......

I've been working on my autobiography for the last three years. I've managed about 6,000 words.

Nuff said!

:hihi:

Yo got me thinking there, I might have a bash at that, got lots to tell. It would be nice for the kids to read when Im old and wrinkly (well even more old and wrinkly) ;)