When a story becomes a battle of attrition...

Some months ago I started writing a short story that I felt had promise, got about 2/3 of the way through (around 1500 words) and then found that it was an absolute slog to get further.

It wasn't quite writer's block - more like 'can't be bothered'. For some reason the piece I was doing had become significantly less interesting, and I was almost desperate to finish it and get it out of the way.

I should point out that nowadays I have a little 'rule of thumb' for myself that says that I must finish one piece before starting on the next; helps me avoid my weakness of not finishing stuff I start. :)

Anyway, eventually I managed to wrestle the story to the ground, finished it off and moved on. But eeeek.....it was painful.

Does anyone else have this sort of problem?

I've been working on my autobiography for the last three years. I've managed about 6,000 words.

Nuff said!

:hihi:

That happens a lot to me

I also get half way through a story and lose interest, I have a lot of unfinished stories because of that :(

Thasc - I know that feeling!

I've always been bad at finishing stuff off so I made a rule for myself in 2000 that I'd not allow myself to have more than one short story and one longer piece of writing on the go at once.

If I get ideas for new stuff, I write them down, but will only move on to them when I've cleared my decks sufficiently.

It can be a swine sometimes!

I try and do that as well but it's not always easy

I'm in the middle of writing a story at the mo and it's not going so well, but I intend to keep on with it :)

My stories are always stories about things that I did in my past so basically its all there, laid out for me to put into words. I DO run out of steam though half way through my rabid ramblings and I find the only way to get back on track is to sit somewhere quietly and re-live the memory.

Once the story is finished it takes me ages to start the next one. After weeks of preparing for the group here to start, Im STILL waiting to adapt the stories that I already have on the comp.

Im just too lazy to start. I have one story prepared, and it would appear thats all the group is going to get.

Jabberwocky - you'll come up with more than that one for the Group, I guarantee it!!

I used to be crap at starting stuff up - now it's just the finishing.

Well Im lazy, Im hoping that the story I send in will keep everybody satisfied for quite a while. That way, I can sit back and relax like the lazy pig that I am.

Well Im lazy, Im hoping that the story I send in will keep everybody satisfied for quite a while. That way, I can sit back and relax like the lazy pig that I am.

Oh no you won't, oh yes I will, oh no you won't!

yup, I even procrastinate about weather to procrastinate or not.

I think it comes down to personality types- in business people are referred to as 'planners', 'starters', 'co-ordinators' and 'completer/finishers' according to where their natural motivations lie.

You can develop into other areas, but naturally every one of us will have a tendency to be an ideas person, or an organiser, or one who sees things doggedly through to the end.

I personally fall into planning and organising, so hopefully the well laid plans will carry me through the finishing things off properly (which I hate and find really difficult unless I go into sergant major mode and kick myself into it).

I "dried up" as soon as the new Group appeared......I shall get something together though. I am dying to see the lunatic Jabberwocky's contribution first! :hihi: