Which Hotel is this from 1912

The right hand letter looks more like an 'R' to me, which makes me wonder if the left hand one could be a G rather than a C ?!

A crown plus GR - could the hotel be specially decorated for, say, the coronation of George V (1910).

I had a browse through lots of hotels on PictureSheffield without spotting it (but there were so many my eyes glazed over:) ).

Hugh

Hi Hugh

you could be right about the letters,I thought the C could have been a G.On the reverse it says Charles Buxton{family] 1912.There is another photo with what looks like the younger man in the group stood in the doorway of the Hotel which makes me believe they managed it rather than just visiting.In various census's the family were listed as barmen or licensed victuallers.I know it will be beyond the memory of todays people but I thought if the building had survived for some other use someone may recognise it.Although with whats happening to Sheffield's Buildings I'm not very hopeful.

Thanks for your input anyway and the others who have helped with my limited computing skills.

Audrey

The right hand letter looks more like an 'R' to me, which makes me wonder if the left hand one could be a G rather than a C ?!

A crown plus GR - could the hotel be specially decorated for, say, the coronation of George V (1910).

I had a browse through lots of hotels on PictureSheffield without spotting it (but there were so many my eyes glazed over:) ).

Hugh

My thought's are the same as Hugh's, the letters and crown look more like decorations.

On the left of the picture is a sign above the shop window, looks like a street sign, can you make any letters out.

No the letters are indistinguishable but like you I think it is a street sign,a short one at that!

On 1901 Census there is a George Buxton living on Old St [Crown and Cushion Hotel] but dont know if this is part of the family or even exactly where it is except its in the Park District.

No the letters are indistinguishable but like you I think it is a street sign,a short one at that!

On 1901 Census there is a George Buxton living on Old St [Crown and Cushion Hotel] but dont know if this is part of the family or even exactly where it is except its in the Park District.

is this them in 1891,

Piece: RG12/3814 Place: Sheffield-West Riding of Yorkshire Enumeration District: 2

Civil Parish: Sheffield Ecclesiastical Parish: St Peters

Folio: 18 Page: 1 Schedule: 4

Address: 27 Paradise Street

Surname First name(s) Rel Status Sex Age Occupation Where Born Remarks

BUXTON Charles Head M M 45 Barman(Em'ee) Yorkshire - Sheffield

BUXTON Margaret Wife M F 45 Lancashire - Manchester

BUXTON George Harry Son S M 17 Engineer(Em'ee) Yorkshire - Sheffield

BARRATT Arthur Visitr W M 49 Barman(Em'ee) Worcestershire - Kidderminster

SYKES William Visitr S M 25 Coachman - Servant(Em'ee) Yorkshire - Sheffield

BAINTON Joseph Lodger M M 54 Vocalist(Notem) London - Paddington

BAINTON William Lodger S M 18 Vocalist(Em'ee) Yorkshire - Keighley

BAINTON James Lodger S M 16 Vocalist(Em'ee) Co. Durham - Crook

WILSON John Lodger S M 36 Music Hall Artist(Em'ee) Warwickshire - Birmingham

ROWE Harry Lodger S M 26 Music Hall Artist(Em'ee) Warwickshire - Birmingham

RANDALL William Lodger S M 63 Music Hall Artist(Em'ee) London - Lambeth(Originally: Surrey - Lambeth)

First glance to me it looks like the building that houses 7 Spices balti opposite the fire museum ?

Hi Retep

Yes this is the family.There was a Hotel on Paradise St but its not the one I'm trying to identify.There's a photo on Picture Sheffield of this one.Its so frustrating because the building seems familiar,maybe it was just the Architecture of that time because to me I can see parts of the Education Offices,the old G.P.O. Grand Hotel and even Hillsborough Barracks but none are a close enough match !

Audrey

Hi Audreyf,

I share your frustration. I also think I have seen the building before but can't think where.

First its a fine looking building, situated on a street that is level, or close to it. Most of the Sheffield streets that are on the level are in the valleys, very few in the city centre.

The building's design is also quite different, particularly the gable-end on the left of the picture.

I could be wrong but I also think that you can rule-out the Park district as a possible location. I spent a lot of my childhood in the Old Park (before 1958 ) and don't remember a building quite that stylish there.

Hugh

Yes - I think you're spot on about GR and the crown, it is very similar to lots of other coronation decoration photos I've seen.

I've just scratched my head for ages trying to figure out which building it reminded me of - definitely the Children's Hospital opposite Firth Court. It's not there, but it's what it reminds me of!!!!!

I don't know if this will be a helpful suggestion , but could it be one of the railway hotels ? For example , was there any kind of hotel attached to the Victoria station before the 1st. World War --------or perhaps nearby on The Wicker ?

Not an expert, but it looks like the building types around Ranmoor.