Which Hotel is this from 1912

This is the family at the Crown & Cushion in 1891 (George Buxton was still there in a directory in 1919/20):

1891 census

ref: piece 3825 e.d.5 folio 106

21 Old St (Crown & Cushion Hotel)

George BUXTON Head Marr 37 silversmith & licensed victualler YKS Sheffield

Jane BUXTON Wife Marr 39 YKS Sheffield

John BUXTON Son 13 errand boy YKS Sheffield

Thomas H BUXTON Son 11 scholar YKS Sheffield

Emily BUXTON Dau 5 YKS Sheffield

Ellen BUXTON Dau 3 YKS Sheffield

Minnie BUXTON Dau 1 YKS Sheffield

But looking at the 1901 OS map I can't see anything in Old Street that could match the photo.

I have looked at every instance of BUXTON in the 1911 White's directory at http://www.historicaldirectories.org. The only ones connected to this trade are the George above and a George H. who was victualler at the Brown Bear in Eckington.

Audrey, do you know the names of the four people in the photo? Do you have any later addresses for them?

Hugh

I think we're agreed about it being for the coronation, and therefore the GR and crown is no help in sorting out the location.

Are we sure it was in use as a hotel - it may have had the inscription but doesn't mean it was being used as such (or had been for years).

I'm going to go and stare at it again for a while!

Has anyone any suggestions of an old Sheffield Hotel circa 1912.Its very extensive in area 3 storeys high and very ornate.

The lighter stone entrance just has Hotel carved over the door but on either side are the initials Cand B and above this a Crown.Both the initials and Crown look as though they could be illuminated with light bulbs.

There are 4 family members infront of the Hotel and it is known that they were licencees and had connections with the Music Hall.

Two known addresses were Carver St and Paradise Sq.

Thank You

Audrey

I have read this thread through, and have collected postcards and pictures of old Sheffield, and this one really has me stumped,

What gives you reason to say it is Sheffield, as this may be helpful to know.

Come on people, dont let this fall into oblivion, I am desperate to know where it is, my last question to Audrey was, if she was sure it was Sheffield, and if she is how? This information could help.

Hi Mandem

Dont worry as soon as I get any concrete information on this Hotel,i will post it on the site.

I cant be absolutely positive its Sheffield,I'm only assuming as the family were Sheffielder's and living here in 1901.If they did move they certainly came back at some stage.

So many people with an interest in Sheffield have been involved in this quest that if it turns out not to be in sheffield lots of us will be disappointed.

At the moment I am waiting for a Forum member who is trying to enhance the Street name which should give us a clue.I cant make it out but there is apparently a Tetley sign on the lamp above the doorway.

I will post as soon as I know something.

Thanks to everyone for their input and interest

Audrey

Hi Mandem

Dont worry as soon as I get any concrete information on this Hotel,i will post it on the site.

I cant be absolutely positive its Sheffield,I'm only assuming as the family were Sheffielder's and living here in 1901.If they did move they certainly came back at some stage.

So many people with an interest in Sheffield have been involved in this quest that if it turns out not to be in sheffield lots of us will be disappointed.

At the moment I am waiting for a Forum member who is trying to enhance the Street name which should give us a clue.I cant make it out but there is apparently a Tetley sign on the lamp above the doorway.

I will post as soon as I know something.

Thanks to everyone for their input and interest

Audrey

I only ask Audrey because you mention Paradise Street and Carver Street well there are also the same streets in Liverpool, just a thought.,

Right, so we know it's decorated for the coronation - doesn't really help

It's a Tetley premises - so it's at least a pub, but at that size it's unlikely it isn't a hotel.

It's on the corner of a short street name

the guessing part....

It looks like it's in the side street behind a much bigger building - as that looks like the side entrance to something like a theatre or picture house - although, is that a shop on the corner?

Does that help anybody?

If this is up a side street, that may explain the apparently flat geography of the street - across a hill? the main building that we can see the side of being on a slope?

Has anybody looked at the citysnapper website?

It's a Tetley premises - so it's at least a pub, but at that size it's unlikely it isn't a hotel.

Were Joshua Tetleys ales available in Sheffield at the time?

Breweries traditionally supplied a much smaller geographic area than they do today. Could we be looking at an Hotel in Leeds or perhaps somewhere north of Sheffield, Wakefield for example?

Just my two peneth

I have the picture from Audrey and from what we have seen so far it was (maybe still is) a Tetley House. The name is above the door. Got the picture turned around to face us but at the moment the street name is indistinct. The G and R plus some exterior light bulbs show us that it was indeed to celebrate King George’s accession to the throne in 1910. Currently tarting the picture up a LOT! Hope to eventually get the street name but it will take time, it’s very bad picture.

Tetley’s, I am sure, could shed some light on it — but I don’t think the building is (was) in Sheffield. It is stood alone, with a street running to the left and another running to the right. Very imposing in its day, I would think. No overhead tram wires.