Your Old School Teachers, Memories And Stories

We had an art class teacher, her name was Miss Fanthorpe, and she had an amputation of the thumb on one hand. A lot of the kids referred to her as four fingered Fanny.  Being a bit naive compared to a lot of the other kids my age it took me a long time to realise that could be interpreted in different ways. I'll never know. Share your memories!

• Haha 1

She didn't teach me but there was a teacher called Miss Warren,  nickname Bunny - she believed in fairies and woe her hair in a bun.

I was told a Miss Ellis wouldn't know if I added to her class,  I tried it and she didn't.

2 minutes ago, cressida said:

She didn't teach me but there was a teacher called Miss Warren,  nickname Bunny - she believed in fairies and woe her hair in a bun.

I was told a Miss Ellis wouldn't know if I added to her class,  I tried it and she didn't.

So you got added to Miss Warren's class?  :) 

When I was in J2 at Nether Green I had a teacher called Mrs. Willoughby.  She had this scary guillotine which she used to cut paper and she always got one of the kids to hold the paper straight for her while she brought the sharp blade down with an evil swoosh.  One  day a little lad accidentally moved his hand and the blade chopped his finger. There was lots of blood. You'd think that after that she'd have held the paper down herself, but nope. She'd get the guillotine out of the cupboard, set it down on her desk with a thunk and then stare at the class deciding who to choose as her hapless victim.  And I'd be sitting there ****ting myself thinking "not me, pleeeease not me not me not me .."

I left school in 1962 and was convinced that the outright thuggery from the teaching staff that I had experienced was a normal part of education. I wonder if caning a child’s fingers so hard that their finger nails quite often turned black and eventually fell off was the work of someone with a sick mind.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, crookesey said:

I left school in 1962 and was convinced that the outright thuggery from the teaching staff that I had experienced was a normal part of education. I wonder if caning a child’s fingers so hard that their finger nails quite often turned black and eventually fell off was the work of someone with a sick mind.

Two old blokes I know often talk about a rough old teacher they had . At one point in his life he was fighting the Japanese, 10 years later he was fighting a class of unruly 12 year olds. 

• Sad 1

26 minutes ago, Slighty batty said:

When I was in J2 at Nether Green I had a teacher called Mrs. Willoughby.  She had this scary guillotine which she used to cut paper and she always got one of the kids to hold the paper straight for her while she brought the sharp blade down with an evil swoosh.  One  day a little lad accidentally moved his hand and the blade chopped his finger. There was lots of blood. You'd think that after that she'd have held the paper down herself, but nope. She'd get the guillotine out of the cupboard, set it down on her desk with a thunk and then stare at the class deciding who to choose as her hapless victim.  And I'd be sitting there ****ting myself thinking "not me, pleeeease not me not me not me .."

Great story! Did you ever get picked to hold the paper?

19 minutes ago, crookesey said:

Yes,  not only sick but weak,  he was a bully and a thug,  it's  the duty of a head teacher to deal with such behaviour,   I'd have had him out - bad apple,

12 minutes ago, crookesey said:

Oh, that's awful to say the least, definitely vindictive thuggery or a sadist...

Long story short, I had a teacher that had been baited verbally behind his back by some of the kids. He had all weekend to think about this, Monday morning in class he made some sort of statement and then told one of the kids involved to come to the front of class, the teacher had worked himself up into a bit of a rage, grabbed the lad and kept whirling around and around hitting him on the backside and ended up bursting his nose. I've never known a class to be so silent following that.