Surrey Police Bovine Brutality

The response to this incident really does show how distant people are from the reality of animal husbandry.

Just a few points:

Cows can and do kill.

A lone cow is far more unpredictable than a herd.

How on Earth is a vet expected to administer a 'knock out' tranquilizer-that would cause less harm?

Without the potential to get it into a gated field or the availability of a firearms officer or the presence of a passing visitor from the Amazon rainforest and their blowpipe and darts what was the solution.

An injured but not dead cow seems a good outcome, but pulling a police officer out of the line to salve the mistaken sympathies  of the media is ridiculous.

9 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

The response to this incident really does show how distant people are from the reality of animal husbandry.

Just a few points:

Cows can and do kill.

How on Earth is a vet expected to administer a 'knock out' tranquilizer-that would cause less harm?

Without the potential to get it into a gated field or the availability of a firearms officer or the presence of a passing visitor from the Amazon rainforest and their blowpipe and darts what was the solution.

An injured but not dead cow seems a good outcome, but pulling a police officer out of the line to salve the mistaken sympathies  of the media is ridiculous.

Have you seen the full video (not just the edited one on BBC)?  The police car mows the cow down at a speed that is completely unnecessary. And if you think that is OK, surely you can’t condone ramming into the poor animal a second time.  Most people are completely outraged.  Including the Home Secretary.  You are in a tiny minority and rightly so in my opinion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Just a few points:

Cows can and do kill.

My Bold

Cows can and do kill.??

Almost anything breathing can Kill, and the most dangerous is a human. Do you suggest that the police adopt this method of arresting people? Or for getting rid of dogs/cats that find themselves in the road?. I would not say a cow is Dangerous, they can be when with calf, or if you have an uncontrolled dog with you, but by and large they are pretty tame.

• Like 1

Cows kill about 6 people a year but its nearly always cows with calves at feet and often the victims have dogs .

Sister was a dairy farmer, so you learn to be cautious at times what you are doing

• Like 2

16 hours ago, El Cid said:

Will the police be paying for the vets bills?

I'd imagine it won't be the tax payers picking up the vet bill.  It will be the owner of the cow for not securing it in the first place?  Hope he has insurance?  He's also a vehicle to pay for. 

7 hours ago, pfifes said:

Have you seen the full video (not just the edited one on BBC)?  The police car mows the cow down at a speed that is completely unnecessary. And if you think that is OK, surely you can’t condone ramming into the poor animal a second time.  Most people are completely outraged.  Including the Home Secretary.  You are in a tiny minority and rightly so in my opinion.

I'd only seen the BBC footage, so just googled and found fuller footage on youtube, shocking. The driver hits the cow at speed causing it to fall and roll over twice, as the cow gets up the driver hits it again. Sodding BBC sanitising the video they posted!

• Thanks 2

On 17/06/2024 at 11:42, aardvark6535 said:

My Bold

Cows can and do kill.??

Almost anything breathing can Kill, and the most dangerous is a human. Do you suggest that the police adopt this method of arresting people? Or for getting rid of dogs/cats that find themselves in the road?. I would not say a cow is Dangerous, they can be when with calf, or if you have an uncontrolled dog with you, but by and large they are pretty tame.

Agreed and I think a lot of people are completely clueless with animals.  This is why there are so many incidents with out of control aggressive dogs and cat shelters are full to bursting.  Too many people get pets for the wrong reasons and don’t understand the needs of animals.  Owning a pet and companionship from an animal is great privilege but too many get pets on a whim or to show off and get bored with them when the novelty wears off.  I also despair of people that ignore signs about keeping dogs on leads around sheep.  These people have no clue about canine instincts and their responsibility as a dog owner.  And of course cows will try to defend their calves if someone walks nearby with a dog.  Sadly some people have been killed by cows but the answer is educate and raise awareness of respecting animals and acting responsibly not blaming the poor animals and abusing them.

As for the cow hit by the police car, it was very young and not acting aggressively.

• Like 2