Car insurance is becoming prohibitive.

On 14/06/2024 at 16:28, altus said:

Car insurance companies are part of a conspiracy to get people to ditch cars and use public transport? That's hardly going to boost their profits is it. I can see a conspiracy theorist proposing that but anyone with functioning brain cells will see what nonsense it is.

It won't boost their profits hence why they are maximising while they can.

Last year I got a new car and the insurance had only been running for about 12 weeks for the old car which was 9.75 years old, I was shocked that it only went up about £40. This year went up  by a ridiculous amount, I looked on the comparison sites and only found one cheaper and that was by about £5 but had excesses where as I have none apart from the compulsory excess. We are just being ripped off because not only did car insurance go up but home insurance went up by about 30%.

My multi car insurance for my Range Rover and Ford transit van fully comp with LV insurance went up from £3600 last year to £5789 this year but I did have my other Range Rover stolen last year and never found so I can’t really grumble.

I tried the comparison sites and cheapest quotes coming in were £29k!!

Im a  51 year old male with a protected 9year no claims discount, clean licence living in the S5 postcode….

like people say, Never take the renewal price. mine jumped from 280 to 460 this year for a 2 ltr 15 year old diesel. Looked on comparison sites and found same company offering it for 370 and another for 320. Quick call to current company and got it for 320.

they are claiming that repair prices ahve shot up too which is costing them more

the future ex mrs sheffbag got her multicar quote and was nnearly double, shopped around and got it at £180 less than reneawl price. . dont be afraid to walk away

• Like 1

20 hours ago, iansheff said:

Last year I got a new car and the insurance had only been running for about 12 weeks for the old car which was 9.75 years old, I was shocked that it only went up about £40. This year went up  by a ridiculous amount, I looked on the comparison sites and only found one cheaper and that was by about £5 but had excesses where as I have none apart from the compulsory excess. We are just being ripped off because not only did car insurance go up but home insurance went up by about 30%.

Perhaps the problem is these comparison sites?

Are they totally independent, if they are independent, then we have a competitive market and perhaps the problem is peoples expectations.

We have had a period of over 10% inflation, over 3 years that is a 20% increase.

3 hours ago, El Cid said:

Perhaps the problem is these comparison sites?

Are they totally independent, if they are independent, then we have a competitive market and perhaps the problem is peoples expectations.

We have had a period of over 10% inflation, over 3 years that is a 20% increase.

The Meerkat one is dodgy

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/nov/19/comparethemarket-fined-179m-by-competition-watchdog

On 17/06/2024 at 09:57, sheffbag said:

like people say, Never take the renewal price. mine jumped from 280 to 460 this year for a 2 ltr 15 year old diesel. Looked on comparison sites and found same company offering it for 370 and another for 320. Quick call to current company and got it for 320.

they are claiming that repair prices ahve shot up too which is costing them more

the future ex mrs sheffbag got her multicar quote and was nnearly double, shopped around and got it at £180 less than reneawl price. . dont be afraid to walk away

Comparison sites for me were coming back with stupid prices so my current insure LV was the cheapest.

so they didnt need all these highly expensive 15 minute cities to stop people driving in their cars afterall, just hike up the price of insurance....sorted.