Society (The Public) get the police service they deserve.  As society and morality changes, so does the police.  Fear of arrest and prosecution and respect for those who enforce the law has diminished.  Paltry sentences for habitual criminals put before the courts have demoralised hard working cops for decades.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tipstaff said:

Society (The Public) get the police service they deserve.  As society and morality changes, so does the police.  Fear of arrest and prosecution and respect for those who enforce the law has diminished.  Paltry sentences for habitual criminals put before the courts have demoralised hard working cops for decades.

:thumbsup:

Just now, hackey lad said:

I know a copper who says exactly that .

Old coppers (sometimes retired ones too) will all agree on this.  Nobody takes much notice of them because there are always new ways of doing things in order to appease whoever may be offended.  This is used as an excuse for doing nothing, or ignoring minor criminal offences.  Doing this often enough has got us where we are today.  All old coppers know this, but as I said, nobody listens to someone who has had a lifetime of public service policing the streets.  It makes you wonder why though, doesn't it? 

25 minutes ago, Tipstaff said:

Old coppers (sometimes retired ones too) will all agree on this.  Nobody takes much notice of them because there are always new ways of doing things in order to appease whoever may be offended.  This is used as an excuse for doing nothing, or ignoring minor criminal offences.  Doing this often enough has got us where we are today.  All old coppers know this, but as I said, nobody listens to someone who has had a lifetime of public service policing the streets.  It makes you wonder why though, doesn't it? 

He’s not an old copper , he’s under 50 , done it for about 25 years  

On 08/06/2024 at 18:29, hauxwell said:

I’m off to do a free shop at Asda today.  Mr Farage said you can’t get prosecuted for nicking less than £200 worth of goods. Is this a joke?  No wonder food prices are going up. This is what he said last night on the BBC

You can go out and nick up to 200 quid’s worth without being prosecuted,” he said. “We are seeing a decline, a societal decline of law and order in this country and, frankly, government and the police forces are being too scared of what needs to be done.”

Although ECCOnoob (I think) later explains why this happens, it's obviously a big problem. We all pay for the costs that companies add to include losses from theft and damage. I agree with the last sentence. Nobody really cares anymore. The problem is too far gone (without huge change) - much like America who the UK puppets a few years behind. 

On 08/06/2024 at 18:53, crookesey said:

Let’s face it the inception of self serve supermarkets was an invitation to thieves. However the cost savings on lost stock against savings on staff wages must have been taken into account at the time and are still relevent today. I wouldn’t advocate staff members challenging thieves as knife crime is on the rise, I don’t see what the police can do other than to arrest transgressors in the event of violence to staff members.

I think the problem is the thieves know that there aren't any police anywhere, they have to be called out. That's too much hassle for all parties. One difference from the past (meaning 50 years plus) is that many more shops were just small owned businesses and they would either tackle the thieves or lose money, hence a thief is less likely to steal knowing they could get batted. That's changed in respect of big shops, where even if was a manager, I wouldn't expect staff to tackle someone. 

Get bobbies back on beat with a truncheon and wanna be gangsters will soon realise who the law is good old fashioned coppering society has gone mad these days it all started when they stopped cane at school 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, gaz 786 said:

Get bobbies back on beat with a truncheon and wanna be gangsters will soon realise who the law is good old fashioned coppering society has gone mad these days it all started when they stopped cane at school 

Never take a truncheon to a machete fight 😬