Blackpool Boarding House Holiday

Does anyone remember a Blackpool Holiday  staying at the Boarding House located at 32 Crystal Road? It was operated by Mary roxby and her daughters Ethel & Anne? She was in business during WW2 and through the 1950's or 1960's. Many Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

We only holidayed in Blackpool once and that was in 1971 and remember it raining every day so we only lasted 4 days, believe it or not our annual holiday was always two weeks.

I couldn't spend two days there now but places are very different today to what they are were.

But back on topic, we stayed in boarding house's all the time they were a good way of making friends with other kids.

We went to a lot of places in the 60s and the Sun always shone apart from our holiday in Blackpool.

Great days sadly gone we never went abroad then but Torquay was like being abroad in the early 70s.

Edited by Cody's Granddad
  • Like 3

A lot of Blackpool boarding houses now don't make the money they once did and the last time I was in Blackpool ( 2017) a lot were derelict or struggling to stay open. When I was a kid my Dad used to book a boarding house that was on the North Shore very clean and the food was good it was run by a Scottish woman her name was Mary she didn't put up with bad behaviour. I can't recall the name this would be around the late 1980s/90s probably long gone. 

We went to Blackpool every year in the 1960's and stayed in "Digs" as my dad would have said. Went with SUT coaches, normally works weeks which was the last week in July & the first week in August. My dad always said that you hadn't been on holiday unless you'd been to Blackpool because of the fresh air!!  We then started to go further South and stayed in hotels rather than digs but always returned for the illuminations. Happy Days . 

• Like 2

We used to stay in board and lodgings with a family in Scarborough in the 1950s / 60s and hardly ever went to Blackpool.  I spend months every year in my property in the south of France, but I’m still emotionally and nostalgically attached to Scarborough. Peasholm Park and the Corner Cafe area was like a magical fairyland for me as a young child growing up. 
My parents passed away 40 years ago but I still see myself with them on the Marine Drive.

Life eh ? 

• Like 2

On 08/06/2024 at 18:34, Sharon Crow said:

We went to Blackpool every year in the 1960's and stayed in "Digs" as my dad would have said. Went with SUT coaches, normally works weeks which was the last week in July & the first week in August. My dad always said that you hadn't been on holiday unless you'd been to Blackpool because of the fresh air!!  We then started to go further South and stayed in hotels rather than digs but always returned for the illuminations. Happy Days . 

Digs eh, that's what we called them

6 hours ago, Cody's Granddad said:

Digs eh, that's what we called them

Bed and breakfast every January cheap and cheerful for pigeon show at winter Gardens 😜

we go every year 5 of us we use a big hotel near the tower in oct, book in jan top hotel  5 nights only £340 which i think is great , we go to there breakfast eat as much as you want, they offer full english plus continental for only £10 each great deal, plus a third off parking,theres always something to do day or night what ever the weather, used to go with granny to bridlington in the 60s stopped at a b&b i was amazed it has gas lighting, had a relation who had a bording house opp the station at scarbrough in the 60s she made loads of money  with big yorkshires save money,well for her they did and bread/butter puds, enjoyed scarbrough with peashome park, the ww2 battles and a big boat that slide down into the water, infact that park with its upgrade is still great although scarbrough and bridlington and most resorts needs re-vamps.i love whitby as well, even cleethorpes is improving. love england although been abroad.

• Like 1