Jump to content

US congestion charge bill


Recommended Posts

On 22/05/2024 at 19:52, Resident said:

https://news.sky.com/story/us-embassy-refuses-to-pay-163146m-london-congestion-charge-bill-insisting-it-is-exempt-from-tax-13140593#:~:text=Among all embassies%2C the total,year is £143.5m.

So the US government  is refusing to pay the £14.6 million bill for accrued congestion charges, amongst others, bills totalling £143.5m

The US claims that the CC is a tax and therefore exempt as diplomats do not pay taxes in the host country

TfL claims it is not a tax but a service charge therefore the diplomats are required to pay.

My question is, if the congestion charge is a service charge, then what service is being provided? 

TfL cannot claim the roads themselves because roads are paid for and maintained by general taxation. 

Why doesn't Mayor Khan send the bailiffs to the embassies to collect the money owed?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Derby said:

Why doesn't Mayor Khan send the bailiffs to the embassies to collect the money owed?

 

Because it would spark what is known as 'an international incident' and powers above Khan (despite what he may think they are people above him) don't want to deal with the fall out. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Resident said:

 

Because it would spark what is known as 'an international incident' and powers above Khan (despite what he may think they are people above him) don't want to deal with the fall out. 

Also, aren't foreign embassies sovereign land of the country who's embassy it is? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Geneva convention 1961 ,settled this.

 

Article 22
1. The premises of the mission shall be inviolable. The agents of the receiving State may not enter them, except with the consent of the head of the mission.

2. The receiving State is under a special duty to take all appropriate steps to protect the premises of the mission against any intrusion or damage and to prevent any disturbance of the peace of the mission or impairment of its dignity.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Resident said:

 

Because it would spark what is known as 'an international incident' and powers above Khan (despite what he may think they are people above him) don't want to deal with the fall out. 

A bottler 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 22/05/2024 at 19:52, Resident said:

https://news.sky.com/story/us-embassy-refuses-to-pay-163146m-london-congestion-charge-bill-insisting-it-is-exempt-from-tax-13140593#:~:text=Among all embassies%2C the total,year is £143.5m.

So the US government  is refusing to pay the £14.6 million bill for accrued congestion charges, amongst others, bills totalling £143.5m

The US claims that the CC is a tax and therefore exempt as diplomats do not pay taxes in the host country

TfL claims it is not a tax but a service charge therefore the diplomats are required to pay.

My question is, if the congestion charge is a service charge, then what service is being provided? 

TfL cannot claim the roads themselves because roads are paid for and maintained by general taxation. 

This sort of thing with not only the US but also other foreign embassies has been going on for decades, since the days of Ken Livingston, when they were claiming diplomatic immunity for driving in red bus lanes, parking where they like, etc.  Just add ULEZ to that lot. 

 

Maybe we do the same in the US & avoid payment?

 

Does Charlie, William & the rest of them pay the ULEZ every time they drive down The Mall & do any of them pay for all the extra protection cars & outriders or does it come out of mine & your pocket? 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.