Jump to content

US congestion charge bill


Recommended Posts

https://news.sky.com/story/us-embassy-refuses-to-pay-163146m-london-congestion-charge-bill-insisting-it-is-exempt-from-tax-13140593#:~:text=Among all embassies%2C the total,year is £143.5m.

So the US government  is refusing to pay the £14.6 million bill for accrued congestion charges, amongst others, bills totalling £143.5m

The US claims that the CC is a tax and therefore exempt as diplomats do not pay taxes in the host country

TfL claims it is not a tax but a service charge therefore the diplomats are required to pay.

My question is, if the congestion charge is a service charge, then what service is being provided? 

TfL cannot claim the roads themselves because roads are paid for and maintained by general taxation. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Resident said:

https://news.sky.com/story/us-embassy-refuses-to-pay-163146m-london-congestion-charge-bill-insisting-it-is-exempt-from-tax-13140593#:~:text=Among all embassies%2C the total,year is £143.5m.

So the US government  is refusing to pay the £14.6 million bill for accrued congestion charges, amongst others, bills totalling £143.5m

The US claims that the CC is a tax and therefore exempt as diplomats do not pay taxes in the host country

TfL claims it is not a tax but a service charge therefore the diplomats are required to pay.

My question is, if the congestion charge is a service charge, then what service is being provided? 

TfL cannot claim the roads themselves because roads are paid for and maintained by general taxation. 

whatever its classed as i dont see diplomats mentioned on the exemptions list

https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/congestion-charge/discounts-and-exemptions

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, melthebell said:

whatever its classed as i dont see diplomats mentioned on the exemptions list

https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/congestion-charge/discounts-and-exemptions

 

With the US claiming it's a tax then they'll be going down the not paying taxes at all rather than a listed exemption

 

 

5 minutes ago, melthebell said:

and to answer your question, the wiki page states

 

 

 

So no service is being provided specifically for the charge and the US stance that it's a tax would hold. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Shame Boris never sorted  it.

Its been US and plenty of over governments policy for decades .

 

More troubling was the case of the young biker killed outside the UK/US airbase a few years back

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, butlers said:

 Shame Boris never sorted  it.

Its been US and plenty of over governments policy for decades .

 

More troubling was the case of the young biker killed outside the UK/US airbase a few years back

Ha Ha , knew it would be the Tories fault  😄

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, butlers said:

More troubling was the case of the young biker killed outside the UK/US airbase a few years back

 

That did get sorted eventually, after alot of political wrangling.

 

Another upshot I believe is that family members are not automatically given the same diplomatic immunity.  So perhaps they've shot themselves in the foot by being so obstructive.

It is a shame Harry died, it was a genuine (and avoidable) accident though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.