Shopping in Banners

I dont know if this is true or not make your own minds up

I remember my Grandma telling me Banners were prosecuted in the 1950's for selling tins of dog food with no labels on in a discount basket to Sheffields newly arrived immigrant community which was then used for human consumption.

I dont know if this was just chinese whispers and she got the end of it or it was indeed true

Does anyone know if it was true?

I dont know if this is true or not make your own minds up

I remember my Grandma telling me Banners were prosecuted in the 1950's for selling tins of dog food with no labels on in a discount basket to Sheffields newly arrived immigrant community which was then used for human consumption.

I dont know if this was just chinese whispers and she got the end of it or it was indeed true

My parents used to tell me they were sold tins of Kit-e-Kat as Salmon, but not sure where this originated.

My parents used to tell me they were sold tins of Kit-e-Kat as Salmon, but not sure where this originated.

I have never heard of that one,but what I did enjoy is going up on the escalator it was the first time I had seen one

My dad said that there were air raid lights for spotting the german planes on the roof at Banners and if I'm not mistaken didn't these feature in their adverts?

BTW.....what the cause of their demise and who owns the building now?

There was another shop in Sheffield. where money was put into a container thing, and a chain was pulled like an old toilet flush and a catapult device would fire the container down a wire..as a little kid a was amazed to see these objects flying about above my head..I remember a glass fronted box/office up in the air where all these money containers went and returned....But I can't remember what this store was called...can anyone help?.

My Missus re'cons it was "Woolworths" but not sure.

Blanchards on Langsett Road.

i don't remember one, we lived just before you got to Chippingham st going up so there may have been one further up over the bridge. we lived across from Hewitts shop on the corner of Shirland lane and Chippingham st

HI DEBBIE 22. i went to school with david hewitt huntsmans gardens. he was in my class along with phil milburn gary swan jane nicklin jane shipley. wonder if you remember any of these?.no post office up shirland lane.think one up side of banners.main one on cliffe side of station pub still there.best chippie in sheffield ainleys up side of hewitts shop.margaret nd eric owned it nd mrs mallaband worked there.happy days.

I kept the horse and jockey in the early eighties,opposite corner from where arnold had his barrow,knew him well,he'd pop in for a drink and leave sally i think tending the fruit and veg barrow

hi soton owl. i used to go in horse nd jockey around that time.and remember arnold bullimore fruitman.his family had a barrow round the other side of banners opp burgesses. i used to play darts for h+j thur nights with steve clark jack mcormack ian sutcliffe nd a bloke called fazal.im also a season tkt holder at hillsborough.

Oh yes Banners!! I remember all the little wooden drawers they had behind the counter, and the lift! They had one of those with the metal consertina doors and a lift attendant that operated a large lever to choose which floor to go to. My mum always tells a story about my Gran having all the assistants looking for me and I was in the changing rooms laughing at them!!

lift attendant only had one arm. he used to chase us as kids when we messed about on the lift.xmas was magical with trees all round the roof lit up. went to see father xmas there.got a plastic fire engine ace.

There was another shop in Sheffield. where money was put into a container thing, and a chain was pulled like an old toilet flush and a catapult device would fire the container down a wire..as a little kid a was amazed to see these objects flying about above my head..I remember a glass fronted box/office up in the air where all these money containers went and returned....But I can't remember what this store was called...can anyone help?.

My Missus re'cons it was "Woolworths" but not sure.

Woolworths had one but not as long as Banners did, the other thing I also remember about Banners was that old lift with the metal concertina doors. Some years later when I worked at Greaves on Sidney Street they had similar lifts but with an inner door as well and if you were deft enough when somebody went down in lift just as it hit ground floor and you pressed button to bring it back up again it used to bounce and come back up with occupant still inside. By the time it came back up we were back at bench working, we used to have people going up and down like yoyos. If anybody tried those stunts now I think they'd be sacked:hihi::hihi:

Woolworths had one but not as long as Banners did, the other thing I also remember about Banners was that old lift with the metal concertina doors. Some years later when I worked at Greaves on Sidney Street they had similar lifts but with an inner door as well and if you were deft enough when somebody went down in lift just as it hit ground floor and you pressed button to bring it back up again it used to bounce and come back up with occupant still inside. By the time it came back up we were back at bench working, we used to have people going up and down like yoyos. If anybody tried those stunts now I think they'd be sacked:hihi::hihi:

hiya, i think the co-ops had them installed, but i remember some others had the vacuum tube type, and i remember going toi banners with my mum and dad and us using the escalator , some years later my mates and me went to the skating rink across the road and when we finished skating i suggested we go on the escalator and after a while we were goin g to the top floor when we were half way up there was the manager waiting for us to give us a talking to, we were around 10 or 11 at the time. this was 1948/9.

My Missus re'cons it was "Woolworths" but not sure.[/QUOT