Shopping in Banners

I can remember Christmas shopping at Banners in the 1950s, the entire length of Attercliffe Common was alive and bustling, I think Banners was one of the first department stores in Sheffield, I was always fascinated when our money was put in a little brass cylinder, which then whisked off with a hiss of compressed air, then it would arrive back with the change in it. How times have changed.

There was another shop near ther canal bridge at the bottom of Staniforth Road but I cant remember the name. This had the compressed air cylinders - probably early fifties.

HI DEBBIE 22. i went to school with david hewitt huntsmans gardens. he was in my class along with phil milburn gary swan jane nicklin jane shipley. wonder if you remember any of these?.no post office up shirland lane.think one up side of banners.main one on cliffe side of station pub still there.best chippie in sheffield ainleys up side of hewitts shop.margaret nd eric owned it nd mrs mallaband worked there.happy days.

remember these but a little older than me. A small post office on chippingham street I think. Mrs Mallaband was my mum. Margaret and Eric were my aunt and uncle.

Just seen the remark from Palascrubs about the funny Banners coins. I have a 1d token that is brass and has a serrated edge that was my Nans

The Post Office was actually up the side of Banners on Shortridge St.

I spend quite a lot of time in the Banners Building these days. I can just recall going in as a child back in the 60s. My parents were both from Attercliffe. The café seems to be doing well.

I remember when I was a small boy going to John Banners with my mum for her to get a new girdle,up the elevators to the top floor and back down in the lift. It seemed to be a magical place for a small boy what with the money going off in a tube and the change coming back in a different one and in strange coins as well.