Snake Pass closed/ works at same time as Winnats/Woodhead

You could try the AA or RAC website I think, plus there'll be a highways agency site.

I'd make sure you leave early though, if those roads are still closed then other routes will be hell.

I am hoping that at 4:30am the road will be quiet. :thumbsup:

If I have to go that way I often find that Winnets Pass can be quicker than the Snake and Woodhead. I know someone that uses it every day, so I reckon it's at least a popular commuter route.

All the taxi drivers/private hire use the Winnets Pass route from Manchester airport at rush hour and bad weather rather than the snake.

Alternate route over to Chapel En Le Frith A6 whilst Snake and Winnats pass are closed.

Go into Hope Valley as though going to Casteton. Just before before Hope Village turn Left at traffic lights. Go through Bradwell follow signs toward Tideswell. Turn right at crossroads goes towards Chapel en le Frith passing through Peak Forest village.You are then back on the A6 toward Stockport

This is not much longer than Winnats Pass way

But with both roads closed I bet the residents of those places are loving that route being known :D

I still think it's a stupid idea closing two of the more popular routes at the same time!

I suppose they will. But that is the way that is signed to get to Chapel en le Frith, rather than through Castleton, as the road is not as steep as Winnats Pass.

Just had to look at this I thought it had snwed already, they usually close it when a snowflake appears.

From sheffield to Chapel there's also the A623 from Baslow.

Vince

Where is this Cat and Fiddle? I have loads about it being a good motorcyle route that is heavily policed but never known where the damn thing is :huh:

It's the name given to the road going from Buxton to Macclesfield.

'The Cat & Fiddle' is the name of the pub that you pass on route.

The road is very popular with bikers and if recall correctly it was named by the AA as the most dangerous road in Britain. I gets this honour due to the highest number of fatal RTAs that occur on it every year!

Nomme

The corners on it are very suprising and unless you are familiar with the road it can be dangerous to hammer it on there. Unfortunately some do and some pay the price for doing so.

I always take it steady on there, partly for the risk and partly because of the Police.

I wonder whether those two facts are in any way connected? Maybe bikers like it because it's dangerous, or maybe there are so many fatalities because bikers ride along it too fast? Is it mostly bikers that get killed on this road?

Bit of both I think :(

Bazjea's route is the quickest alternative route, but gotta be careful as the road from Bradwell is quite windey. Another alt route would be to follow signs into Edale from Hope Village, and then instead of going to the village, go straight back up the big steep hill (name escapes me at the minute) to come out just after the top of winnets on the road into Chapel.

I wonder whether those two facts are in any way connected? Maybe bikers like it because it's dangerous, or maybe there are so many fatalities because bikers ride along it too fast? Is it mostly bikers that get killed on this road?

Would seem so.

From

http://www.aatrust.com/index.asp?PageID=31&Year=2005&NewsID=21

"

# Last year's worst performing road (the A537, Macclesfield-Buxton) suffered 27 fatal and serious collisions, of which 26 involved motorcycles. Although a major reduction in collisions was achieved in the 2001-2003 period (22 fatal and serious accidents, 20 involving motorcycles), the road heads the list again this year;

# Were motorcycle accidents to be removed from the statistics, the A537 would be among Britain's safer roads;

# On more than 160 (19 per cent) of the 850 roads studied, at least one third of all fatal and serious collisions involved motorcycles;

"