Snake Pass closed/ works at same time as Winnats/Woodhead

What kind of 'intelligent' person is in charge of planning when both the Winnets Pass and the Snake Pass are closed on the same day?

They are both major commuter routes and also busy this time of year with coaches, so why not close one and leave the other open and alternate that instead of closing both for resurfacing work?

Genious.....:loopy:

Agree, but Winnets Pass can't be called a major commuter route can it?

If I have to go that way I often find that Winnets Pass can be quicker than the Snake and Woodhead. I know someone that uses it every day, so I reckon it's at least a popular commuter route.

Agreed, I would say that Winnets Pass is an important commuter route. It is used a lot for access to south Manchester, via the A6.

I drove that route every day for 2 years.

Closing Winnets Pass and the Snake Pass does sound like madness to me.

Would also be of the opinion that both are busy routes. I used to use Winnat's Pass when there were problems with the snake. Guess that an alternative would be the Cat and Fiddle.

Where is this Cat and Fiddle? I have loads about it being a good motorcyle route that is heavily policed but never known where the damn thing is :huh:

Both are shut?!

Saw the diversion signs from Snake yesterday at Ladybower Xroads. We had assumed they were directing people over Winnets. So which way are they recommending you take?

Where is this Cat and Fiddle? I have loads about it being a good motorcyle route that is heavily policed but never known where the damn thing is :huh:

It's a very good road for motorbikes, I love riding up that way, but the Police thing is right too there are always speed cameras and patrol cars waiting for you. Head out towards Leak and turn right after the petrol station, I know it by route but not too well by road names etc :D

Both are shut?!

Saw the diversion signs from Snake yesterday at Ladybower Xroads. We had assumed they were directing people over Winnets. So which way are they recommending you take?

Not sure, it was a person at work that found them both shut today on his way in from Stockport.

Does anybody know how long Snake Pass is closed? Was planning to drive over to Oldham that way on Sunday.

If it's still closed then I'll go via Holmfirth.

If I have to go that way I often find that Winnets Pass can be quicker than the Snake and Woodhead. I know someone that uses it every day, so I reckon it's at least a popular commuter route.

I guess so, I've now drive to Manchester more using the A6 way and it's as quick as the Snake or the Woodhead usually, missing out crazy Mottram..

Just it's a shame castletons getting commuter traffic, when it's so narrow and bendy. Wonder if a bypass would've been built if the old Mam Tor landslip road was still open?

It is the A537 Macclesfield - Buxton road: named after the public house part way along the route [useful if you want to go from Buxton - Macclesfield, less useful if you want to go from Sheffield - Stockport/Manchester].

Hi,

I need to be at Manchester airport at 6am on Tuesday morning, will the Snake be open by then? Is there a website with info ?