Police To Reinvestigate Decision To Charge Caroline Flack

Police to reinvestigate decision to charge Caroline Flack as ‘new evidence may be available’

I would like to be emailed about offers, events and updates from The Independent. Read our privacy notice

The Metropolitan Police will reinvestigate the lead-up to the decision to charge TV presenter Caroline Flack as “new witness evidence may be available”, the force said.

The Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) recommended that the former Love Island presenter receive a caution following an incident with her boyfriend, Lewis Burton, in December 2019.

But this was overturned after an appeal from the Met Police, and she was instead charged with assault by beating.

Flack was found dead in February 2020 at the age of 40.

A coroner later ruled she took her own life after learning that prosecutors were going to press ahead with an assault charge.

The Met has now said it is making “further enquiries” into potential new witness evidence relating to the actions of officers in appealing the initial CPS decision not to charge Flack.

Seems clear cut to me.

She assaulted her sleeping boyfriend. 

Charges were coming.

She killed herself. 

Not sure what this new 'evidence' might be but i guess well see.

Your thoughts?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/caroline-flack-metropolitan-police-new-evidence-b2526852.html

5 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

I heard its her Mum. 

The CPS recommended a caution but the Met Police appealed the decision and she was charged.
Her mother says the police were after a celebrity scalp and if she has evidence it won’t look good.

12 minutes ago, Jim Hardie said:

The CPS recommended a caution but the Met Police appealed the decision and she was charged.
Her mother says the police were after a celebrity scalp and if she has evidence it won’t look good.

A celebrity scalp?

Or, maybe the Met felt commiting DV is wrong and deserves punishment EVEN if its committed by a woman? 

• Like 1

A little more here, from Bylines.
Caroline Flack’s Lawyer Suggests Decision to Charge her May Have Been ‘Driven by Desire’ to Appease Media as Met Police Probe Case

Questioned about the decision to re-examine the case, Flack’s lawyer, Jonathan Coad, suggested the Met Police’s relationship with the media may not be “entirely as it should be”, telling Sky News: “One suspects the reason why police made this decision was to appease the press pressure, which I remember being there… that she should be charged to rebut suggestions, ‘oh, well she’s had special treatment because she’s a celebrity’.”

He continued: “So, it may be that this decision, which indeed is unusual to appeal it, was driven by a desire not to fall foul of the press, and be criticised by the press, in which case is an entirely wrong reason for the appeal to be made .”

11 minutes ago, peak4 said:

A little more here, from Bylines.
Caroline Flack’s Lawyer Suggests Decision to Charge her May Have Been ‘Driven by Desire’ to Appease Media as Met Police Probe Case

Questioned about the decision to re-examine the case, Flack’s lawyer, Jonathan Coad, suggested the Met Police’s relationship with the media may not be “entirely as it should be”, telling Sky News: “One suspects the reason why police made this decision was to appease the press pressure, which I remember being there… that she should be charged to rebut suggestions, ‘oh, well she’s had special treatment because she’s a celebrity’.”

He continued: “So, it may be that this decision, which indeed is unusual to appeal it, was driven by a desire not to fall foul of the press, and be criticised by the press, in which case is an entirely wrong reason for the appeal to be made .”

Seems like clutching at straws to me.

She assaulted her boyfriend Whilst He Was Sleeping...

Bashed his head in with a lamp I believe although I may be wrong on the weapon used she did use one.

Her mum or whoever is behind this need to accept that yes, whilst it's sad she killed herself she has no one to blame but herself. She was clearly violent, a danger to others and sadly herself too. 

Arguing about the reason this violent woman was going to be charged will change nothing in my opinion. Personally I wish she didn't kill herself, instead owned up to her crime (if convicted) and accept her punishment then move on. As a celebrity she could reach a wide audience, telling her story and how she became an abuser could have helped others. I'd have certainly respected that.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Pyrotequila said:

She's dead... so what the hell is the point in going back to the case, other than to try and appease her family in some weird way?

:thumbsup: I don't know who she is but I bet her Mam is some middle class Lady who feels entitled . 

25 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

:thumbsup: I don't know who she is but I bet her Mam is some middle class Lady who feels entitled . 

That sounds like prejudice,  why should her Mam feel entitled?   There may be new evidence and if it means she can clear her daughter's name there's nothing wrong with that,  why bring class into it.