Universal Credit?

Well I have looked and I can't find an answer to this so does anyone know? I thought the idea of Universal credit, and Pension credit for that matter,  was to bring peoples income up to a manageable amount so why all the side benefits?

UC has replaced Jobseeker's Allowance, Employment and Support Allowance, housing benefit and working tax credit, so has (in theory) streamlined 4 into 1. There are other benefits such as Personal Independence Payment and Disability Living Allowance that remain outside of UC.

1 hour ago, Vrsaljko said:

Is this from a certain date? I'm currently claiming JSA while I look for a new job and I don't get any UC.

Oh yeah, there's that weirdness of 'new style JSA'. I can't remember but I think that's a short term thing. If you are on benefits longer or if you need to apply for help with housing costs or what was tax credits I think you have to claim UC. 

22 hours ago, spilldig said:

Hi Anna. Well like dentistry, boilers , spectacles , council tax, that sort of thing.  

well I might have another go at getting pension credit. I know the last time I checked we were just over the limit but I can't really work out how it works, I mean as an example, if two OAPs  live next to each other and one is £1 per week over limit for pension credit and the other gets pension credit and council tax is say £2,000 a year, is the first pensioner immediately about £1,950 a year worse off because his or her neighbour gets council tax covered or is it a sliding scale?  Same for savings, is it a sliding scale? Just trying to find out without all the rigmarole of filling the whole blooming forms in on line.  

You can phone on 0800 99 1234, mon-fri 8am to 5pm. Have your National Insurance number to hand, also details of how much your pension is and how much your savings are. They can take you through a preliminary check and let you know if you are eligible before you apply. Sadly, it isn't a sliding scale, if you are £1 over you aren't eligible. Hope that helps.

49 minutes ago, nanoffive said:

You can phone on 0800 99 1234, mon-fri 8am to 5pm. Have your National Insurance number to hand, also details of how much your pension is and how much your savings are. They can take you through a preliminary check and let you know if you are eligible before you apply. Sadly, it isn't a sliding scale, if you are £1 over you aren't eligible. Hope that helps.

Thank's nanoffive . Yes phoning is a better way I reckon.

• Like 1