Driving lesson, makes me a bit nervous

If you decide to go with BSM, then be careful - you might find you get a trainee instructor (ie one who hasn't yet passed all his/her qualifying exams) but pay the same price.

Look for the licence in the front window -

Pink = trainee instructor:(

Green = fully qualified:)

All our instructors are fully qualified, and if you decide on manual, I've got a nice lady instructor who lives at Norton and has a brand new Ford Fiesta.

And by the way, thanks for offering to buy the car! You don't really want to know how much I'd want for it :o (if I were looking to sell it that is - which obviously I'm not:P )

Learning in an automatic is probably easier, and they are easier to drive, especially around town in traffic.

But they are no good for performance driving. The auto gearbox can only select for current conditions, it cannot see ahead, and only changes when conditions dictate.

It is worth struggling to learn on a manual as driving is more fun :thumbsup:

learning to drive a manual wil be harder than an automatic, but once you've passed you'll be able to drive either. if you pass in an automatic, you won't be allowed to drive a manual.

automatics used to be noticeably slower than manuals and used more fuel. this was partly because they sapped power and only had 3 gears instead of 4 or 5 for manuals. These effects were particularly noticeable in small cars with low power engines.

Newer automatics are much better, leagues ahead of the old ones, to the extent that some big performance cars (eg BMW M5, Audi S6) are only available as automatics. others (porsche, Ferrari) have the option, while more (TVR, Noble) only do manuals. manual cars offer more control, but the new 'flappy paddle' autos are quickly improving.

I personally prefer manuals, but can no longer rule out a decent automatic in the future.

thanks!! but i think im going for automatic, coz im so very confuse changing gear!! he he heh!

LOL!

I think everyone I know (including myself) says they want to learn in an automatic before they embark on lessons.

Honestly Dada, learn in a manual. You have much more control over them and although it may take you a few months to get used to the gears, one day you will just get in the car and not even think about it. It is very easy once you get the hang of it, trust me!

If you decide to go with BSM, then be careful - you might find you get a trainee instructor (ie one who hasn't yet passed all his/her qualifying exams) but pay the same price.

Look for the licence in the front window -

Pink = trainee instructor:(

Green = fully qualified:)

All our instructors are fully qualified, and if you decide on manual, I've got a nice lady instructor who lives at Norton and has a brand new Ford Fiesta.

And by the way, thanks for offering to buy the car! You don't really want to know how much I'd want for it :o (if I were looking to sell it that is - which obviously I'm not:P )

hah ha ha ha,ok i thought u are! lol!! thanks for the info,, I now change my mind to book in BSM, as they havent contacted me yet,,,thanks a lot sax,,,i might go on manual,, and i think,, ill book it next month as i realised ive got holiday on 2nd week of august, might as well do it after innit,, i let u know sax,,, xx thanks,, x

LOL!

I think everyone I know (including myself) says they want to learn in an automatic before they embark on lessons.

Honestly Dada, learn in a manual. You have much more control over them and although it may take you a few months to get used to the gears, one day you will just get in the car and not even think about it. It is very easy once you get the hang of it, trust me!

yeh,, now all of you makes me change my mind for manual,, nice work everyone,, thanks,, i might book to sax,, ill think it over,, but yes,, i will do manual now!! :confused:

This stigma with auto cars really gets on my tits.

Everything said on here about manuals over auto is rubbish in this day n age.

EXCEPT for autos are more expensive.

I personally and a few instructors I've talked to don't see why people still take tests in manuals, unless your a young person out for a bit of fun.

You try asking an American if they drive a manual, they'll look at you confused.

It's such a English ladish attitude.

There's no problem with choice either, we've had an Audi diesel, Landrover diesel and Im about to get a BMW 1 series diesel, cant wait.

Id say do what's best for you, certainly don't feel preasureised into doing a manual test for rear of being taunted in the playground.

After all what is your main criteria for driving a car ?

Saxon

I am interseted though whats the law if you want to take a test in a manual if you own a automatic liscence.

Do you have to take your theory again ?

Something I've always wonderd and not asked about.

Cheers M.x.

I'm neither for or against auto's, but I am sure like many others I prefer to have the choice of what type of car I drive rather than have that choice made for me.

Passing in an auto means that's the you can ONLY drive a car with that type of transmission, which (despite your love of auto's) I am sure you will agree is somewhat limiting?

im sure everyone (or nearly everyone) is nervous at first.. just make sure that you find an instructor that you feel comfortable with (know its difficult when you only get to speak to them on the phone or not even that) and just mention to them that you are a little nervous..

..i was nervous though and hve had two different teachers who both tried to combat it in very different ways.. the first just pushed me to get over it, the second tried to take it slowly to gently get me used to it.. mistake i made was not tellin the second one when what he was doing wasnt helping, as soon as he knew i needed to be pushed on a bit i was sorted and passed ma test.. :) find someone who is gonna teach ya how u wanna be taught

I'm neither for or against auto's, but I am sure like many others I prefer to have the choice of what type of car I drive rather than have that choice made for me.

Passing in an auto means that's the you can ONLY drive a car with that type of transmission, which (despite your love of auto's) I am sure you will agree is somewhat limiting?

See what I mean, thanks for pointing out that with an auto licence you can ONLY drive a auto car.

That was my point though the choice isn't limiting, it's 2006 ! Good grief.

Anyway my main 2 pence worth, was about doing what's right for you.

What will you be doing with your car when you've passed ?

Passing in a manual maybe just unnecessary..... or not ?

This rant does seem to make out that it's a walk in the park passing in a auto.

In my experience learning to use the clutch and gears is a small part of learning to drive carefully and with consideration on the roads.

In reply to Modesty's question re having to retake the theory test if you wish to upgrade from a full automatic car licence Category B automatic to a manual licence Cat B, then no, you do not have to retake the theory test.

Further information can be found on the DSA website at

http://www.dsa.gov.uk/Category.asp?cat=28

American's always look confused when we say manual transmission, but say "stick shift"......Still, having taken a few for lessons before their UK test to make sure they know the various manouevres that are required & advise on any driving habits that can be improved, they quickly adapt their driving techniques. As mentioned previously, clutch/gears are only a part of being able to drive & if the driver is competant & confident on the road, then it means only having to re-learn one skill.

I teach in a manual, drive a manual car when not in my Mini, but equally enjoy driving auto's. Each to their own, but having that unrestricted licence gives me the choice. Some people will always struggle with gears, so why deny themselves the independence of being able to drive, even if it comes at a premium?

One comment I would add is for anyone considering learning to drive as being a skill they can offer to a potential employer. If it was necessary to use the employer's vehicles, is the company more likely to run manual or automatic fleets?

Now, true story time. Many years ago in a former life we had a sweet dear come over from the other side of the pond who hired a car from one of our sites for a few days. Upon arriving at her destination she phoned the office to complain that the engine made a terrible noise when driving. Baffled receptionist eventually dropped the killer question, did she know how to drive a stick shift? Ouch... 200 odd miles in first gear. She knew she had to put the clutch in when braking, etc but had not a clue about different gears. Expensive lesson in customer service.

That was my point though the choice isn't limiting,

It's not limiting for your own car. It is for others though. Like it or not, most cars on the roads are manuals, so if you want or need to borrow a friend's/relative's car, hire one, drive a van, use a company pool car etc, the vast majority will be manuals and virtually all for vans and lorries.

If I had to take my test again, I would still choose a manual.

It's not limiting for your own car. It is for others though. Like it or not, most cars on the roads are manuals, so if you want or need to borrow a friend's/relative's car, hire one, drive a van, use a company pool car etc, the vast majority will be manuals and virtually all for vans and lorries.

If I had to take my test again, I would still choose a manual.

Can I just say first Im not after a cheap argument when I keep replying on the auto issue.

I mean Im not on commission or owt.

Im just simply giving the poster positive feedback on autos because this thread makes out it's really restrictive to drive one here in the UK.

I honestly believe it's not.

Apart from the many choices of car I've already mentioned I would just like to add, my first car was a second hand Merc A class auto form a commercial company that was used by one of it's employees.

Also just the other month I flew to Aberdeen where on landing I hired a auto smart car.

It's not the end of the world.

Thanks to Mr Bridger though that's quite interesting about not having to take your theory again to upgrade to a manual, you know if ever I want to buy an antique for fun stuff.

Anyway I think dada has enough feedback now about autos not being the disability they sometimes appear to be.