Teachers can't apply sunscreen.

Yes I would, they wouldnt have to physically intervene though would they?

When I worked in a bar back at home I once ID'd somebody who was the year below me at school and had left after GCSE's because I knew him to be underage. The next day he came to the school and phsyically attacked me. He grabbed me from behind and bent my head over the back of the disabled railings attempting to break my neck. There was nothing I could do, and being the fool that he was a teacher intervening "verbally" wouldn't have stopped my neck getting broken. If it wasn't for a teacher watching in a nearby class who jumped through the window and put her arms around his neck pulling him away to stop him breaking my neck I'd be in a wheel chair now, unable to do anything I want do to.

What would you rather have happened? I think the attitude of some on this thread is completely pathetic. And it's a bit of a shame really. I'd be happy for (when I have kids) the kids to hug them, cuddle them, apply suncream, change their underwear if they wet themselves etc.

It's also a sad state of affairs that all my best teachers accepted that they had a limited career because at somebody they would be accused of doing something that ended their career. All my best teachers from whom I didn't just learn about the subjects I was studying, but about growing up, being mature and about life in general were compassionate and often bordered on "friends". I still keep in touch with many of them, via email, phone and going out for drinks. I was lucky in the school that I went to, but I wish that education for my children, and my childrens children. My worst teachers were the robots wouldn't even consider getting involved emotionally with any of the children and therefore failed to engaged with us at any level.

I think the problem that comes with replies is that until someone has experienced something as you have - and yes i agree thank goodness that teacher intervened - then it is hard to consider the whole picture.

There will always be extremes where PEOPLE - not just teachers react to a situtation in the most sensible manner and not just because they are bound to follow policy - we have to remeber that teachers are people too and thankfully there are taching staff and those caring for children who would rather break policy than to see a child suffer - this is where policy is very hard to enforce though and where policy places staff in a very hard situation - and what if that teacher hadn't helped you? doesn't bear thinking about does it?

this is where i think and as i said that policies need to be set in a manner which will work and with room for the wellbeing of a child if the policy fails as well as the teacher.

personally if i was still working with children and i had a child who couldn't apply their sun cream where the policy said no contact i'd find a way round it - i'd probably guide their own hand to help them apply the cream - i would not be happy to allow a child to get burned.

I think that lots of childcarers are unhappy with policies, i know a lot of parents are unhappy with policy - you can't keep everyone happy.

babs

I think Angelus' stance worries me more than anything I have read on here for a very long time.

I think Angelus' stance worries me more than anything I have read on here for a very long time.

me too - especially since I'm going to be going into the teaching profession once my degree is outta the way.

These days- are a lot unsafer for kids now.

Back in the 80's/90's kids were usually fine to play in parks without the increased fear of paedophiles looming around them like there is today.

This has to be one of the most ridiculous posts i've ever read on forum, its going to be a worrying life if everyone is brought into the world with views like this.

Is Angelus an anagram of "The Daily Express/Mail"???

I haven't read all of this thread but a number of people seem to have been sitting in the sun too long. Schools and local authorities mostly.

I'd be perfectly happy for a teacher to put suncream on my 8 year old daughter - its madness not to with her red hair and fair skin. A diabetic friend of my daughter's isn't even allowed to eat at the correct time and we've had trouble from the school over an op my daughter needs to have which leave her in plaster in both legs up to her thighs - they don't want her in the school for the 3 months, its too much bother evidently. I understand a bit about schools as most of my relatives seem to be teachers, and so is my daughter's mum - I don't think we are being awkward, or loading a load of extra work on teachers. Inclusion seems to be selective. My girlfriend is a teacher as well, and there are autistic kids in school who probably should not be in mainstream education - some find it very distressing, but a kid in plaster is too much trouble ? I'm all for sensible inclusion by the way, but I think we do many children a dis-service by throwing them into an environment that is unsuitable for their needs.

What an interesting thread. The views posted by Angelus are extremely worrying.

Being a psychologist I would like to offer help to you, I imagine you are mentally scarred from a childhood experience.

Please feel free to PM me so we can take the next step of eradicating your childhood demons.

I'm here to help.

they do it at nursery... so i cant see what the difference is when they are very young at school... a 4 or 5year old surely isnt going to be putting cream on often enough and if they are, not doing it properly.. i would much rather teachers were putting cream onto my little girl, as they do at nursery than letting her burn (which she will as she is very fair skinned) X

Teachers can fill my childs mind- as long as its learning from a curriculum thats fair enough, what again- they are not allowed to do is rub suncream onto my child.. for starters they dont have my permission, so that in itself, I would well be within my rights to have them sacked for it.

In NO WAY is it YOUR RIGHT to get us sacked if we apply suncream to your child!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As was said succinctly earlier, teachers act in loco parentis: WE ARE responsible for your child. If little Johnny walks off site, WE ARE reponsible.

We "act as parents" whilst your child is in school.

There IS NO RULE AGAINST touching your child as a teacher (unless inappropriate kind of touching). My point was that I was told to avoid it to prevent the kind of allegations we could all do without.

This attitude: "I'm within my rights to get you sacked" which is helping detroy teaching, teachers, health professionals etc.

having been a parent, a teacher, a pta member & a school governor i think that teachers are paid to TEACH. it is not in their job description to administer sun cream - what if they put the wrong brand on,or put too little on & the kid still burns.

they administer first aid because it would be unethical not to offer assistance.

i admit things are different in nursery school 'cos the syllabus is a little weak. after that the child should be taught to look after themselves to ana extent.

i have a 3 year old "grandson" who could probably do it for himself, he can take himself for a pee. the thing is parents don't want to teach their offsring how to do it 'cos they can't be bothered with them. IMHO.

What an interesting thread. The views posted by Angelus are extremely worrying.

Being a psychologist I would like to offer help to you, I imagine you are mentally scarred from a childhood experience.

Please feel free to PM me so we can take the next step of eradicating your childhood demons.

I'm here to help.

Nice one! Has he PM'd you yet? I hope you've got plenty of time on your hands, it sounds like he cold do with alot of sorting out.