Lucy Letby: Appeal Bid To Be Heard By Judges In April

Lucy Letby's bid to appeal against all of her convictions for murdering and attempting to murder babies will be heard in court in April.

The nurse's case will be considered by a panel of judges at a public hearing.

Letby was convicted of the murder of seven babies and the attempted murder of another six at the Countess of Chester Hospital between June 2015 and June 2016.

She lodged her appeal application shortly after her trial ended.

The 34-year-old, originally from Hereford, was turned down at the first stage, when a single judge reviewed her case papers.

Letby is now entitled to a full court hearing, set for 25 April, before three judges, at which her barrister will argue for the right to an appeal.

If she is granted permission, an appeal hearing will be set by the court for a separate date.

If she loses, it will be the end of the appeal process for her.

.https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-68378750.amp

Not going to get involved in arguments on this, but how in hells name can she appeal, given the mountains of evidence at her original trial? Something is wrong here.

27 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Not going to get involved in arguments on this, but how in hells name can she appeal, given the mountains of evidence at her original trial? Something is wrong here.

ALL prisoners are entitled to appeals, it's called being civilised, you can't pick and choose who has one. It doesn't mean anything will change though.

Just now, melthebell said:

ALL prisoners are entitled to appeals, it's called being civilised, you can't pick and choose who has one. It doesn't mean anything will change though.

IMO - and just mine, no doubt, of those who reply on here - there is nothing to appeal in this case.

5 minutes ago, melthebell said:

And to be fair this is only an appeal to be allowed to appeal, as far as I am aware you can only appeal if you believe an error was made in the process or calculation of the sentence, and you cant do it just because you dont like the verdict.

3 hours ago, RollingJ said:

Sorry, but there wasn't a mounttain of evidence against her, most of it was circumstantial. 

Her'confession' was made while her mind was disturbed, and could be interpreted in a number of ways. I'm not saying she's innocent but there was enough doubt to merit it being looked at again. 

3 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Sorry, but there wasn't a mounttain of evidence against her, most of it was circumstantial. 

Her'confession' was made while her mind was disturbed, and could be interpreted in a number of ways. I'm not saying she's innocent but there was enough doubt to merit it being looked at again. 

Although I didn't follow the case closely, I saw enough in the reports to reach my conclusion that she made calculated and conscious decisions to cause harm .

• Haha 1

Careful, the forum's own Thomas Mair like figure (Wallace) will be along to issue death wishes to anyone with a level-headed take on the matter. He want's to hammer nails into her of course, jeez.

2 minutes ago, Palomar said:

Careful, the forum's own Thomas Mair like figure (Wallace) will be along to issue death wishes to anyone with a level-headed take on the matter. He want's to hammer nails into her of course, jeez.

Dunno if that is supposed to be directed at me, or not, but your 'laughing' emoji confuses me.

I'm laughing at your 'Although I didn't follow the case closely...' nonsense.

But my post was to remind Wallace that it's never a good look to wish death on other forum users, or indeed to want to hammer nails into women, eeergh.

Weren't there two baby deaths when she wasn' there?

2 minutes ago, Palomar said:

I'm laughing at your 'Although I didn't follow the case closely...' nonsense.

But my post was to remind Wallace that it's never a good look to wish death on other forum users, or indeed to want to hammer nails into women, eeergh.

I didn't follow it closely - I tend not to get exited about things which don't impact on me, and reading some of the comments on this forum in the original trial topic rather put me off the topic. However, I did see and read some of the more level-headed reports, and Anna's 'circumstantial evidence' comment seems a little wide of the mark.

If it was to remind 'Wallace' - why not direct your comment to him?