Could It Possible To Restore The Tram Line Down To The Moor?

the tram needs extending near the moor and needs to go where the people need it south of the city ,but its cost thats the problem.

An interesting idea but what a shame it was not suggested before the council ripped up,all the cobbles

Just now, bassett one said:

the tram needs extending near the moor and needs to go where the people need it south of the city ,but its cost thats the problem.

Cost AND various other factors - like where do you run it, what is its real benefit, how much disruption during construction and after are you prepared to put up with - I could go on, but that will do for now.

11 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Cost AND various other factors - like where do you run it, what is its real benefit, how much disruption during construction and after are you prepared to put up with - I could go on, but that will do for now.

But mainly cost. Most of the other things you mention are really only issues if you allow them to be issues, and are surmountable.

3 minutes ago, AndrewC said:

But mainly cost. Most of the other things you mention are really only issues if you allow them to be issues, and are surmountable.

Please expand.

3 hours ago, Planner1 said:

Exactly

Why would anyone think that running trams through the main pedestrianised areas of your city centre is a good and safe thing to do?

The tram already runs though a part pedestrian area like Castle Square and into the Cathedral stop both well used. Manchester tram system runs

into the main shopping area and you will find many European cities trams running right into the city centre. The tram route could go another to the Moor. 

3 hours ago, RollingJ said:

No idea, @Planner1 - but I'm used to crazy thought processes on here. 😀

I'm sure some of your ideas could be viewed the same.😀

2 hours ago, AndrewC said:

If you could click your fingers and put a tram line in down Ecclesall Road overnight, no disruption, it would be a no-brainer - and a cash-cow.

Not sure how you work out that it would be a ”cash cow”.

The tram has never been particularly profitable even though it runs through densely populated areas.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, bassett one said:

I think it could pay and the economic benefit to the Moor would be more custom for shops and the market. The cost will be high for construction as with any project but the return will cover the cost.

2 minutes ago, GabrielC said:

I'm sure some of your ideas could be viewed the same.😀

Maybe - but most of them are posted after some consideration. Just out of interest, could you give an example?

1 minute ago, GabrielC said:

I think it could pay and the economic benefit to the Moor would be more custom for shops and the market. The cost will be high for construction as with any project but the return will cover the cost.

Over what period?

27 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

Not sure how you work out that it would be a ”cash cow”.

The tram has never been particularly profitable even though it runs through densely populated areas.

Maybe not a cash cow then but it would make a reasonable business case.

Again - only theoretical for all the reasons already mentioned - but if you could click your fingers and overnight run a line from the top of Banner Cross to the High Street via Ecclesall Road, The Moor, Heart of the City 1&2 etc, it would see a hug amount of custom.