Another Top Sheffield Restaurant Set To Close

8 minutes ago, SheffieldForum said:

VorV was considered one of the best Vegan/Vegetarian restaurants in the region.

I think I just figured out why I never visited 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

7 minutes ago, SheffieldForum said:

From the linked Tribune article (citing a recent study):

"A study published last month found that the number of licensed premises in Britain had fallen by 3.6% in the year to September 2023 — from 103,682 to 99,916, the first time the total has dropped below 100,000 in two decades." 

The trade paper says different.

https://www.morningadvertiser.co.uk/Article/2023/10/30/number-of-british-licensed-premises-in-2023

5 minutes ago, Jim Hardie said:

“The statistics revealed at the end of September 2023, the total number of licensed premises in Britain was 99,916 – a 30.6% fall from 144,055 recorded by CGA in 2003 and the first time it entered five figures.”

It would be great if we could edit our posts.

4 minutes ago, Jim Hardie said:

Errr - your link confirms the same statistic?

"The statistics revealed at the end of September 2023, the total number of licensed premises in Britain was 99,916 a 30.6% fall from 144,055 recorded by CGA in 2003 and the first time it entered five figures."

15 minutes ago, Pyrotequila said:

🤣

I'm not a vegan or vegetarian, but I went and the food was outstanding.

More people should give good vegan food a try!

1 minute ago, SheffieldForum said:

Errr - your link confirms the same statistic?

"The statistics revealed at the end of September 2023, the total number of licensed premises in Britain was 99,916 a 30.6% fall from 144,055 recorded by CGA in 2003 and the first time it entered five figures."

The first time ever isn’t the same as the first time in decades.

Just now, Jim Hardie said:

The first time ever isn’t the same as the first time in decades.

That's just splitting heirs. 😂

The study reflected the last couple of decades, so that was the reference point used.

The overall point remains - a vast amount of hospitality venues are closing, at an alarming rate.

• Like 1

As someone in catering and hospitality, it's more important now than ever to up our game. Customers could eat at home, but they eat out for the experience. Exceedingly great customer service, food quality and ambience are an absolute must. 

Is the venue at The Milestone the pub at Crystal Peaks? I've eaten there, never knew it was an outside business using their venue. 

2 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

As someone in catering and hospitality, it's more important now than ever to up our game. Customers could eat at home, but they eat out for the experience. Exceedingly great customer service, food quality and ambience are an absolute must. 

Is the venue at The Milestone the pub at Crystal Peaks? I've eaten there, never knew it was an outside business using their venue. 

No, it was Kelham Island on the corner of Ball Street. Used to be called The Milestone, which closed during covid and never reopened, then Juke & Loe moved there after closing an earlier iteration on Ecclesall Road.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Pyrotequila said:

I'm a big meat eater but honestly it was superb, completely made you forget any need for meat to be involved in a dish. And quite right too, I still eat meat but it's silly to think everything needs to have it in.

VorV did oyster mushrooms in buffalo hot sauce and blue cheese which was immense.

• Like 1

The food at Juke & Loe was excellent though very expensive, shame to see these high end places go, I'm guessing they won't be the last either.

• Like 1

It would be nice if all these businesses succeeded - but sometimes they don’t - and it’s not always other people’s fault.

I’ve been tempted a few times into opening a restaurant over the last 15 years - and everytime I’ve swerved it - lot of work for not a lot of money.