Sign in to follow this  

Recent floods in Sheffield

Last Sunday my house was flooded for the 9th time in 10 years.

Does anyone else have this problem? Tried my best to contact MP's, council, Yorkshire Water, Ofwat....you name it... I written, e.mailed and sent photos of damage. I live on a nice, flat, leafy road... not near a river ...but in heavy rain the road floods, the drains fill up, and then whoops, it comes up through the manholes, lifting the covers off and gushing over and under damp proof courses, tanking, sump pumps etc. Water company admit that the drains are too small a diametre to take any excess water, but they still keep building houses, flats etc.

The flood water is full of raw sewage and as you can imagine it stinks to high heaven. Its happened so many times that our insurance company wont insure us any more .... but we still have to live there!

Help please.... or at least some chatty messages ... at my wits end. Not very nice living in the 'house at Poo corner' its wet, it smells and we got to try to salvage a stained and stinky carpet.

I used to live on Holgate Avenue next to the stream and we were flooded out a few times, its bloody horrible isnt it.

Try working out which direction the bulk of the water comes from (no not the sky!) then survey the drains/gulleys on those roads and contact street force who come to unblock them. We have a property which was flooded a couple of years ago and had a very near miss last Sunday. I told Street Force on the Monday and they cleared all the drains they could access in under 24 hours. It might help.

Thanks for concern

Have located where bulk of water comes from and Sheffield Council have been FANTASTIC They have done absolutely all they can for us. Trouble is that when the rainfall is so heavy all the road gulleys, drains etc are so full the water backs up thru the manholes bringing the filthy sewage with it. Y.W. have agreed to put in a huge holding tank and this should alleviate problem so that once it stops raining and the drains empty then the holding tank should be able to drain into main drain no prob. But they were supposed to do it in Nov. then again in May and its still not done. Heard so much guff and bumph from Y.Water about what they 'gonnado' am sick of it all. But that's about it..... Sheff. City Council clear drains out regularly, but when they's full they sure is full.... and as I live about the lowest point ... I get the lot!

Wish I knew how to take it further legally.... but I've tried so hard... ten years is a long time... Just havin a moan helps tho.... cheers

My sister went to an ombudsman about the stream flooding and he helped a bit.

is the geography suitable for you (and your neighbours) to invest in flood defences round your boundary? There are properties I've seen in York with their own floodgates

My home is constantly flooded. Then again I do live in a cave under Redmires reservoir.....

Thanks for that Baz. ... Is that a snorkel on your photo?

Glad to hear there is water in the reservoir..... it means I dont have to save the water from my lounge to water the rhubarb.

Strix.

This month, next month, sometime....never????? Y.W. will instal a holding tank. but I'll believe it when I see it. Neighbours dont want to know... in case it affects the value of their property. (I can understand that really) Some just get flooded gardens, garages, basements.... but we get ingress of water into house.

Would it work if you put something heavy on the manhole cover to hold it down when the danger of flooding arises? :confused:

is this at Hillsborough corner? There've been ads on Hallam FM about traffic disruption for the installation of storm drains in the area

Nope.... live in wonderful Woodseats.

Cant put something heavy on top of manhole cover 'cos if we did the water has to go somewhere and it would come up thru the bath plug, sink plug and toilet. uuuggggghhh