Nature In Decline?

28 minutes ago, El Cid said:

I dont think it is climate change, I think there are just too many of us hoomans spewing harmful chemicals.

You may be right Cid, and I am very much against the chemicals. Just think, if it is having an effect on nature etc, it is highly likely to be the cause of some cancers amongst people.

3 hours ago, El Cid said:

The UK's flying insect population has declined by as much as 60% in the last 20 years, a new study has revealed.

https://www.nhm.ac.uk/discover/news/2022/may/uks-flying-insects-have-declined-60-in-20-years.html

We no longer need to clear our windscreens of dead flies. A decline in minibeasts will lead to a knock on effect in other areas!

We are all doomed!

Roadworks, speed restrictions & 20mph zones. 

Nature isn't in decline, it's a fallacy.  There's more of the wee beasties than there has ever been, we're just not driving fast enough :loopy:

Motorways are down to 50mph (if your lucky) 30 mph on the M18 over the Ouse & 20mph zones becoming compulsory everywhere  (especially in Wales).

It's a well known fact you have to be driving at 60 mph to obtain the phenonium of squashed bugs on yer windscreen.

Me personally, I'd rather drive faster, get home for mi dinner and clean the windscreen at my own leisure.

Keep safe, Drive like you stole it 🧐.

Edited by Rockers rule

3 hours ago, cressida said:

Organgrinder will have the answer.

As long as they are not from Park Hill and drive a van.

3 hours ago, Organgrinder said:

At least 5 years since I saw a fox.  don't know the reason for that but a lot of green fields have been built on.

The ones near me make so much noise that it sounds like someone's being murdered! I usually look out of the window about 2am before bed and often see foxes running along the road, so they seem to be doing alright.

2 hours ago, Rockers rule said:

Roadworks, speed restrictions & 20mph 

It's a well known fact you have to be driving at 60 mph to obtain the phenonium of squashed bugs on yer windscreen.

Me personally, I'd rather drive faster, get home for mi dinner and clean the windscreen at my own leisure.

It's even got its own Wikipedia page.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windshield_phenomenon#:~:text=The windshield phenomenon (or windscreen,activity%2C e.g. use of pesticides.

2 hours ago, Vrsaljko said:

The ones near me make so much noise that it sounds like someone's being murdered! I usually look out of the window about 2am before bed and often see foxes running along the road, so they seem to be doing alright.

Some are doing better than others, Basil Brush has earned some Dosh over the years.   HaHa! Ba Bom! :hihi:

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Padders said:

Blame the French,

They eat their legs so they can't around much...

I have eaten Frogs legs once . Didn't like them , they kept kicking the peas off my plate 

Edited by hackey lad
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, El Cid said:

I see dead birds these days, the sky is falling in  :(

Chicken licken....Google it the sky is falling 

7 hours ago, bassett one said:

i have a pond and to keep fish they have to be 18inch-2ft deep in places due to ice ,this can make them a problem for toddlers ,but i like frogs as they are a gardeners friend.

Same here .Cleaning some leaves out yesterday ,disturbed about five Frogs . Nice to see them .

Often see solitary foxes at night but a few years ago just as I was entering the village where I live a vixen crossed the road in my headlights with her pack of about half a dozen cubs. Lovely sight.

Saw a red legged partridge in the garden the other day and we’ve had a pheasant when snows on the ground.

Earlier this year we even opened the curtains to see two peacocks strutting across the lawn. They’d escaped from a house just around the corner.

I’m sure foxes prowl round at night because I sometimes find their mess on the grass.

echo.

2 minutes ago, echo beach said:

Often see solitary foxes at night but a few years ago just as I was entering the village where I live a vixen crossed the road in my headlights with her pack of about half a dozen cubs. Lovely sight.

Saw a red legged partridge in the garden the other day and we’ve had a pheasant when snows on the ground.

Earlier this year we even opened the curtains to see two peacocks strutting across the lawn. They’d escaped from a house just around the corner.

I’m sure foxes prowl round at night because I sometimes find their mess on the grass.

echo.

I seen foxes in the middle of sheffield when I was doing repairs on tram line !

7 hours ago, Al Bundy said:

As long as they are not from Park Hill and drive a van.

I must apologise but Bundy's obsession with me has taken over again I'm afraid.        Not a word about nature  -  I think it's Bundy who is in decline.