The Chinese Buffets in Sheffield thread- all discussion in here please

Went today. The visit wasn't nearly as horrible as people are describing in other posts. We were seated quickly, immediately asked what we wanted to drink and the glasses arrived a minute later. Plenty of choice of main courses with maybe 10-12 different ones out, a reasonable choice of starters, reasonable soup, fresh salad which was limited in choice but good and fresh. Two complaints. The hand dryer in the bogs had bust which was a bit inconvenient but they were trying to mend it. Other complaint was the staff were if anything over-eager at times. All in all pretty positive experience and no automatic 10% service charge. I don't think I'd have been happy to pay £8.99 for the evening blowout but £4.99 was pretty good value. Seems like they're trying hard to put things right. Glad I didn't visit a couple of weeks ago though.

so a couple of things,

why is certain things breaking down (hand dryer, coffee machine, faulty tv), when its a new establishment (reconditioned equipment?)

i believe they rushed things to start to open, as i remember them advertising for a early sept opening, but then was delayed as cetain bits haven't finished yet.

as for the automatic 10%, i bet they were really smug, to think they were the only one in the west st area, so thought they could get away with it,

but i bet a fair amount of complaints piled up.

:mad:

tried wokmania saturday night all i can say is " dont judge a book by its cover" looks great from the outside lots of peaple inside and a dozen or so queing to get in,but what a shambles when we got inside a girl just told us to wait in line within 5 minutes you could'nt move in the bar area also blocking the entrance/exit while all this is going on bar staff are walking thru the seating area carrying trays of glasses for the bar which they can't get to why isn't the glass washer behind the bar? bad planning.

The food well i can't coment on the food really because their wasn't any, the buffet was only 30% full (start/main) and the sweets were never refilled in the 45 min we were their.

It was very obviouse to all that the kitchen counld'nt keep up with demand their only seemed to be one guy bringing food out to the buffet,the food i did try was dry and cold,we sat their for 45 minutes before any staff came to ask if we would like a drink.

When you vist the other buffets in sheffield you order your drinks when get to your table and their waiting for you when get back from the buffet wokmaia has a lot to learn about service.

The staff (students)walk around in a daydream i counted one lad walk around the buffet 8 times without clearing any tables and if the tips are included in the bill why make any effort.

We complained and they knocked 10% of the bill.

I'll stick to the other buffets better service better staff

students can organise a **** up but they can't run a buffet.

i was thinking of going when they first opened

but after reading the first few posts, i thought NAH,

looks pretty, but sounds naff,

i think they need better staff with experience.

they should have put a post in the "jobs available" section.

maybe customers will at least get seated and served :D

Not eaten there but I have another bad story that put me and my mate off going in there again. Just bad service and bad attitude.

We basically turned up at 4.50. The new Buffet price range starts at five. I'm not being funny or trying to pull your leg, but we looked at our watches to check it wasn't 5. Cos we wouldn't of gone in / or paid 7 quid or w/e it was and only wanted to pay the 5 quid lunch buffet. My mobile phone, which due to my job, I double check and reset the time every couple of weeks (to GMT) said it was WELL before 5. A good 10 mins. My name, a very sensible guy, doubled checked the time and agreed it was well before 5. I'm not talking about 5 mins, or 3... I'm talking 10 :/

We walk in, and go "Can we have a table for 2. It's still the *whatever* price tariff?" and the lady goes "Oooh, No no, it's 5 now". ........

We just thought :/

It wasn't busy, she wasn't busy and she was trying to claim it was 5. Not happy or poliete, 0 people skillz. So we walked out. They lost 10 quid there :/ WELL PLAYED. We didn't argue, although we easily could have. It just kind of put us straight off. When you get ****ty service like that at the door, u know ur in trouble :P Will be going to Jumbo's or that one by pond's forge :)

It was actually at that point when we checked our phones and came to the above times ^ Ie. 4.50...

WILL NOT BE GOING BACK EVER.

Wow you are a glutton for punishment - I have read all the reviews on here and it is very off putitng - I wont be going I think !

Originally posted by Hook

Went again yesterday because my girlfriend wanted to give it a try, it was actually worse than last time.

The food choice was terrible, and we had to get somebodies attention to actually get some drinks. The diet coke, coke and sprite had run out of syrup and despite telling the staff nothing changed.

The TV's were just showing fuzz, not that I watch them, but it just looked incredibly crappy on the wall.

When we went to pay it appears they've removed the 10% service charge, but the numpty on the till cashed off the bill while trying to figure out the student discount, had to pull a calculator out to try and work it out, got it wrong and then couldn't manage to divide that figure by 6.

Unless I'm dragged I won't be going back, it ain't worth a £1 let alone £4.99. And paying £1.60 for refillable soda water? Fantastic Value.

Originally posted by 2c4s

Not eaten there but I have another bad story that put me and my mate off going in there again. Just bad service and bad attitude.

We basically turned up at 4.50. The new Buffet price range starts at five. I'm not being funny or trying to pull your leg, but we looked at our watches to check it wasn't 5. Cos we wouldn't of gone in / or paid 7 quid or w/e it was and only wanted to pay the 5 quid lunch buffet. My mobile phone, which due to my job, I double check and reset the time every couple of weeks (to GMT) said it was WELL before 5. A good 10 mins. My name, a very sensible guy, doubled checked the time and agreed it was well before 5. I'm not talking about 5 mins, or 3... I'm talking 10 :/

We walk in, and go "Can we have a table for 2. It's still the *whatever* price tariff?" and the lady goes "Oooh, No no, it's 5 now". ........

We just thought :/

It wasn't busy, she wasn't busy and she was trying to claim it was 5. Not happy or poliete, 0 people skillz. So we walked out. They lost 10 quid there :/ WELL PLAYED. We didn't argue, although we easily could have. It just kind of put us straight off. When you get ****ty service like that at the door, u know ur in trouble :P Will be going to Jumbo's or that one by pond's forge :)

It was actually at that point when we checked our phones and came to the above times ^ Ie. 4.50...

WILL NOT BE GOING BACK EVER.

that i could understand though,

cos when you enter at 4.50, you have ten minutes before the 5pm dishes come out, so you automatically become the 5pm slot, and they will expect you to be in there at after 5 where the other dishes are out ,

that has happened to me at ponds forge one, it told me if i leave the table before x time i won't be charged for the greater later time (price) if i leave after, then they will charge me it,

so nevertheless i left 10 minutes before that time

to 2c4s

i take back everything i have said.

went past today

and nicked a menu.

1 thing i got to ask everyone,

the menu is not impressive whatsoever,.

why did you go??

curiosity? or just trying something new?

why i take back what i said to 2c4s

on the "conditions" on the back of the menu.

it says

customers eating the luchtime buffet ( £4.99) must enter before 5pm (you entered at 4.50pm,) and leave before 6pm otherwise the super buffet (hahahahaha 'super') £6.99 will apply.

you could have taken the menu and complained straight at them.

ps. has anyone read the review on this on today's star;

not a good place to eat ay? cold, rubbery, no drinks.

but the reviewer still gave generous stars all 3/5

virtually nothing for veggies in there... was really disappointed. complained and got meal free. still felt like I was robbed though!

Am maybe going here on works do, am a very fussy eater, what is the range like here for bland eaters like me?!! Thanks :)