Old Age Pensioner

I’m sick and tired of being labelled as such, I didn’t suddenly become an idiot in conjunction with qualifying for my State Pension. My age is a mathematical fact, my intelligence has nothing to do with my age. 

• Like 2

I thought that term had been replaced with senior or similar.   I always think of the ancients of Greece and how advanced they were in their thinking,  I would have sat at their feet and just listened to them.

Would you rather be young and ugly or older and still good looking?

Edited by cressida

46 minutes ago, cressida said:

I thought that term had been replaced with senior or similar.   I always think of the ancients of Greece and how advanced they were in their thinking,  I would have sat at their feet and just listened to them.?

Being older does have some advantages. Concessions for entry to places and free or reduced fares for travel.

I’m fortunate in as much as I’ve never looked my age, well perhaps when I was a baby I did, and thought it was amusing when an Italian teenage girl stood up and gave me her seat on the Milan underground a year or two back. Perhaps she thought I was ‘un uomo bello’ but I doubt it. Courtesy is not dead, at least in Italy.

Disappointed they never ask for proof of age when I’m buying alcohol in the supermarket but I always have a laugh with the girls when they have to remove the security lock from the bottle!

The government can call me whatever they want providing they keep the treble lock!😀

‘Long live the wrinklies’ is what I say.

echo.

Edited by echo beach
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, echo beach said:

Being older does have some advantages. Concessions for entry to places and free or reduced fares for travel.

I’m fortunate in as much as I’ve never looked my age, well perhaps when I was a baby I did, and thought it was amusing when an Italian teenage girl stood up and gave me her seat on the Milan underground a year or two back. Perhaps she thought I was ‘un uomo bello’ but I doubt it. Courtesy is not dead, at least in Italy.

Disappointed they never ask for proof of age when I’m buying alcohol in the supermarket but I always have a laugh with the girls when they have to remove the security lock from the bottle!

The government can call me whatever they want providing they keep the treble lock!😀

‘Long live the wrinklies’ is what I say.

echo.

O'k on all that echo, but as I have said before gimmicks like the free bus pass, with strings, and the other "freebies" etc,  treat OAPs like second class citizens and are  an insult to OAPs  dished out by government in lieu of having the worst old age pension in the civilised world. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, spilldig said:

O'k on all that echo, but as I have said before gimmicks like the free bus pass, with strings, and the other "freebies" etc,  treat OAPs like second class citizens and are  an insult to OAPs  dished out by government in lieu of having the worst old age pension in the civilised world. 

The EU couldn't do anything about that could they?

2 hours ago, crookesey said:

I’m sick and tired of being labelled as such, I didn’t suddenly become an idiot in conjunction with qualifying for my State Pension. My age is a mathematical fact, my intelligence has nothing to do with my age. 

I agree crookesey, but the trouble is OAP covers an entire generation; and how you enter retirement is not how you leave it.

Not wanting to be a doom merchant, but there's a whole load of physical and mental degeneration to go through before you get there. We're not all 'super agers' unfortunately, and we all have to die of something, usually unpleasant and with lots of unforseen side effects. 

I was skipping about at 65 and into all sorts of fun things. 10 years and a serious illness later, that's just a distant memory, but I survived and happily entered into the next stage. What I'm saying is that decline is all part of the process and you have to roll with the punches and do the very best you can with what you've got while you've got it. Social services (which is terrible at the moment) has a lot to do with this and at the moment it's dire. It needs a serious looking at.

I will say this though - mental attitude has been proved to be a lot to do with super aging. Remaining positive, upbeat and interested in the world has a lot to do with it. 

Edited by Anna B
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, cressida said:

I thought that term had been replaced with senior or similar.   I always think of the ancients of Greece and how advanced they were in their thinking,  I would have sat at their feet and just listened to them.

Easy answer. 

(1895) Elvis Hitler - Live fast, die young - YouTube

7 minutes ago, cressida said:

The EU couldn't do anything about that could they?

They would have done cressida but if you remember Ted Heath would only sign up to join the EU if we abstained from the Social Chapter,  thereby ensuring that working people along with OAPs  got the worst working conditions and pensions in the EU.  When labour came into power they never reversed that decision.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, spilldig said:

They would have done cressida but if you remember Ted Heath would only sign up to join the EU if we abstained from the Social Chapter,  thereby ensuring that working people along with OAPs  got the worst working conditions and pensions in the EU.  When labour came into power they never reversed that decision.

That doesn't surprise me at all. Blair was a prequel to Starmer. Unfortunately OAP's don't have much leverage, except they tend to vote. So use it. Imagine what we might get if all OAPs agreed to only vote for a party / person who was going to reverse that, or at least promises to retain the tripple lock.

Edited by Anna B
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Anna B said:

That doesn't surprise me at all. Blair was a prequel to Starmer. Unfortunately OAP's don't have much leverage, except they tend to vote. So use it. Imagine what we might get if all OAPs agreed to only vote for a party / person who was going to reverse that.

I often do imagine that Anna.

38 minutes ago, spilldig said:

Tell me what freebies a pensioner gets.  Forget the Buss Pass for starters because its not free.

1 hour ago, spilldig said:

I totally agree. Plus all this media coverage that never forgets to emphasise 'all the rich old age pensioners' which most of us most certainly are not. 

Some of us might be lucky enough to own our own houses, but there is very little suitable and affordable to downsize into, so it's not anything we can liquidise and spend on day to day comforts like heating and eating. 

OAPs are certainly treated like second class citizens, but then we are considered to be 'just an unproductive drain on the nation's prosperity,' (somebody actually said that to me.)

Forget that we have worked and paid into the nation's wealth for upwards of 40 years and got very little back for it. 

And don't get me started on the cost of care home costs, (average £4,000 per month) for minimal care, and care in your own home even worse averaging £25 T0 £33 per hour or part of an hour, baring in mind that the lovely people who do the work are only on minimum wage and have poor company working conditions as well. Somebody is making a mint at the expense of OAPs and it isn't the workers.

Be sure 99% of us we will all need one or the other before the end and still no cap.  

Edited by Anna B