Emergency Services. What Would You Do?

1 hour ago, The_DADDY said:

Just back from dropping the little one off at the gym and on the journey home an ambulance with lights flashing needed to get by but the traffic lights were red and the car at the front wouldn't budge until the lights turned green.

A few people were blasting their horns, one fella shouted at the driver questioning both his sexuality and parentage but nope, wouldn't move.

Personally I agree with the driver at the front and if memory serves the highway code says you shouldn't move in that situation. 

What would you do?

Would only move if I knew for certain the junction wasn't monitored by red light cameras. 

• Like 1

If its safe to move then do so, if its not safe then don't.
Emergency vehicles will turn off sirens at traffic lights if it means that it would put a driver in danger of going through a live junction.
People stop too close to the car in front to be able to make any vehicle position change, keeping a gap so you can see the road under the rear bumper  is enough.

• Like 3

Here you go;

Edited by peak4
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Axe said:

Perhaps the driver at the front was not looking in his or her mirrors and was deaf and did not know there was an ambulance behind with flashing lights. 

The Driver was probably Boris Johnson wearing headphones and blinkers. :hihi:

13 minutes ago, peak4 said:

Here you go;

Very informative. 

Thanks for that.

I'll just add, it seems daft that the advice is not to use bus lanes.

Is that because the emergency vehicle will likely use them? 

2 hours ago, The_DADDY said:

I'd have thought so. Yes, it would make me feel uncomfortable stood at a red light but I wouldn't move. The ambulance would have to wait unfortunately. Why would anyone put theirselves their passengers and other road users at risk by running a red light.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I had to mount the central kerb on penistone road yesterday teatime to let a police car and ambulance through.

If I’m at a red light then as long as it isn’t a traffic light camera I would edge forward to let them pass safely as sometimes  an ambulance arriving late could mean life or death for the patient.

I have seen some dumb drivers who are not at the lights but they just stay there and cause an unnecessary blockage for the emergency vehicle like an idiot.

Imagine a family member needing an ambulance and then dying about a minute before it arrives due to some driver not moving?

• Like 2

Give some drivers an inch and they take a mile, what is an emergency by the way? The powers that be won’t be in any hurry to allow idiot drivers Rambo status, I therefore apologise to genuine cases where I have been the offending driver obeying the rules, bending them slightly is another matter.

Edited by crookesey

9 hours ago, The_DADDY said:

No one else does.

Daddy for PM. Open those empty bus lanes.

Lets get the traffic moving 🚗  🚚 🏍️.

Can I be minister for Transport 🧐

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Rockers rule said:

No one else does.

Daddy for PM. Open those empty bus lanes.

Lets get the traffic moving 🚗  🚚 🏍️.

Can I be minister for Transport 🧐

Empty bus lanes do my head in.

Driving down meadowhead yesterday and then past the Abbey pub, then to the KFC, traffic was horrendous as it's just one lane, the left lane is completely empty because it's for buses and taxis. Just idiots making these rules.

Road space, just let people use it !!!!

Edited by Al Bundy
  • Like 1

It’s obviously a traffic offence to drive through a red light but I would move slowly forward and to the side tooting my horn to warn drivers on the other road, if that was needed. I wouldn’t proceed across the junction however and put other road users in danger until the lights changed and it was safe to do so.

If I was subsequently prosecuted I would go to court and defend myself on the grounds of it was a reasonable action in the circumstances.

echo.

Edited by echo beach
  • Like 2