Smart?

I have a smart meter on both electricity and gas. I  changed supplier and there was a problem with the new supplier reading the meters. The gas one works well now but I'm told that I need a "series 2" electricity one. Both meters have a manual option which I use. I check the gas readings against what is being sent by the meter and input the electricity readings to the supplier web site. Its not difficult and worth doing to keep a check on usage. 

8 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

I'm not naming my supplier directly, but they changed their name (slightly) mid 2021 and ever since then, when I have needed to contact them (fortunately, rarely) it has been a total nightmare, where previously it had been a joy to speak to them.

I'm not bothered about them changing the meter, all I want is straightforward instructions on how to do a manual read - as I said, my bills appear to be accurate - based on historical data - but I want to be able to check if/when something appears out of kilter.

I agree. It's a very basic thing you want to do.

I tried Youtube for mine. So many that looked exactly the same but mine worked nothing like the videos. I just gave up and went for my solution.

Edited by zach

We had smart meters fitted with monitor. Monitor and meters didn't work, had new ones fitted. We liked the monitor being able to check what we was using and it was sending information to supplier, until last year. All stop, no monitor, no readings sent to supplier, dumb meters now. We check meter readings every week to keep an eye on it. Supplier estimates are ridiculous so we send a reading and also reduce our payments. It has all been a useless exercise.

I will never ever have one because they are crap. :roll:

If I press the number 9, the meter comes up with the KWH reading which I send to my energy supplier using their readings app.

1 minute ago, Findlay said:

If I press the number 9, the meter comes up with the KWH reading which I send to my energy supplier using their readings app.

No digital pad on my meter, just 'up' and 'down' arrowed buttons.

4 hours ago, PRESLEY said:

I will never ever have one because they are crap. :roll:

Try getting a standard one fitted if yours breaks. My £35 (Amazon) one broke. I asked the energy supplier to fit a new one the same type. After months of excuses from the lady in India (or wherever it was) They kept saying they couldn't get one. I even offered to buy it for them! No chance at all. They don't get paid from the Gov to fit standard, I hear they do for fitting smart...Or dumb if you read back a bit.

I don't need smart. If I'm cold, I put the heating on for a bit, if it's dark, I put the 'Big light' on! I don't get involved with plans of any kind. I find paying both Gas and Electric monthly via readings the best way. I could save a few quid by DD and other incentives but when I looked deeper, taking into account how much I use. I don't think I'll miss the bit of money saved per year. I think it was about £12 saving.

Unfortunately, that's how I ended up with not-smart fitted.