2012 Olympics...We've been sold another pup?

Amid all the triumphalism of Britain securing the 2012 Olympic Games, we were told it would bring in loads of money from an expanded Tourist Industry....well that was the claim made by those in the highest positions in Government.

Studies of the tourism levels at previous Olympic venues seem to show a different picture.

Have we been sold the proverbial "pup" once again?

Story Here

At the risk of sounding like an awful wet blanket, of course we've been sold a pup.

The politicians and organisers will look good - the public will have the pleasure of paying for it all.

And what a security NIGHTMARE it's going to be now, holding the Olympic Games in London.

StarSparkle

It seems a shame to spend and build in London when we already have first class facillities in the North. It could have been shared between Manchester and Sheffield quite easily.

Anyone remember the prestigious World Student Games back in the 1990s?

It seems a shame to spend and build in London when we already have first class facillities in the North. It could have been shared between Manchester and Sheffield quite easily.

True, but you know the govt, they just love throwing our money away :rant:

Anyone remember the prestigious World Student Games back in the 1990s?

Oh yes.

What a success story that was:rolleyes:

Yes indeed Shoeshine, We've been collectively bent over and given ten of the best :( What I find astounding was that so many people were behind the bid and were openly crowing when it was announced that we'd "won" the glory of hosting what will be a ruddy nightmare.

Bear in mind that it's going to cost a fortune, lumber us all with a massive debt for many years, create logistical nightmares for transport, police & security services and generally mean that the redundant facilities built with MY money become an even bigger white elephant than the dome. All of that for the "honour" of holding the worlds biggest sports day? P*ss off! :rant:

I really wish that the French had won it and I bet Chirac was wetting himself with laughter at the sight of the brain dead hordes led by the arch prat Lord Coe and thinking "Well, I suppose that's a 1/2 Billion £'s I don't have to fork out"

I really wish that the French had won it and I bet Chirac was wetting himself with laughter at the sight of the brain dead hordes led by the arch prat Lord Coe and thinking "Well, I suppose that's a 1/2 Billion £'s I don't have to fork out"

Spot on, Swan_Vesta.

I'm so glad it's not just me - I was thinking I must be a terrible party-pooper for keeping my fingers crossed that Paris 'won', rather than London.

StarSparkle

I was hoping Paris was going to win. We can go over by train for the day, watch the games, get some cheese and wine and come home, a nice cheap(ish) day out, and no half billion pound debt for us.

look at the jobs it will create ......hotdog vendors spring to mind

look at the jobs it will create ......hotdog vendors spring to mind

And probably a multitude of traffic wardens who will jump in front of para-olympians who are racing to the end of the marathon in their custom build sports wheelchairs so that they can be issued with a fine for non-payment of the congestion charge! :(

apart from ponds forge i very much doubt that shefield has an olympic size (or quality) venue to be honest. not unless they built something new.