Best Security Software

29 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

My W7 machine only comes out when I need to use two programs on it which don't have easy to use Ubuntu equivalents - and is only connected to the net for one of them, so I don't worry about nasties anyway.

Totally agree re the built in one - although I doubt it would run on W7.

That's my point. Use whatever you like, and what works best for you. I mainly use Windows as the software I like runs well on it. I also have a Mac 27" (one of the last Intel) and another test PC which tends to be used for looking at versions of Linux. I never get the "This OS is best, This browser is best" mob.

Although...Windows is the best! :) (Sorry, couldn't resist)

• Haha 1

Understand. I only really switched because I just couldn't get on with W10, hard as I tried, and for what I mainly do, In  find my Zorin (Ubuntu) rig works perfectly well.

I still use the W7 machine, but only for converting CDs to MP3/FLAC for my iPad as the Zorin machine (a) doesn't have a disc drive and (b) so far I have not found a way, other than using lTunes, of copying the converted files to the Apple kit. iTunes is the only app on their kit library which, to my, and others, minds is a total faff and I like simple stuff.

Knew you'd say that about Windows, but no worries. :wink:

I do more video encoding. Self learning as I go. HEVC is amazing. Downside is you need a very powerful PC to encode it in a sensible time scale (and fast NVMe hard drives)

As for music. I spent a lot of the afternoon listening to Pink Floyd encoded in FLAC. I encode FLAC for the PC/Plex server. MP3@320 for the car USB.

As for Apple kit. Install VLC on your iPad. In settings of VLC you can create a local web page and upload video and audio via your home network on that...very easy. I use Windows/Chrome, also works fine with Linux. 

Yes, just a bit of fun about the OS ;)

3 minutes ago, zach said:

As for Apple kit. Install VLC on your iPad. In settings of VLC you can create a local web page and upload video and audio via your home network on that...very easy. I use Windows/Chrome, also works fine with Linux. 

Yes, just a bit of fun about the OS ;)

I'll give that a go, thanks when I get a bit of spare time, just a bit busy on another tech support forum ATM. A bit surprised my Ubuntu help guy over there hasn't suggested it. 😕

No problem. Just make sure you setup the shares/permissions properly. It's been a while since I used it (few months), but fairly sure the folders have to be accessible over the network.There are plenty of Youtube videos and web pages about it, or give me a shout if you get stuck.

• Thanks 1

Can anyone remember when they last saw a virus?

The con these days seems to be to ring you up and get you to install Teamviewer yourself!

4 minutes ago, alchresearch said:

The con these days seems to be to ring you up and get you to install Teamviewer yourself!

I can't , no, but there again I've been using computer systems before Bill Gates thought of Windows, and have always been security conscious, even back in the days of bulletin boards.

Do they still try that old trick?

Edited by RollingJ

On 06/12/2023 at 13:12, alchresearch said:

Nope - they don't even bother with spam emails with a clicky link these days,

On 06/12/2023 at 12:12, alchresearch said:

I can remember, but a long time ago! Had come back from a trip to London when I slipped on wet pavement at split my head open - must have had a bit of concussion. We had guineapigs in need of a new hutch. I mistakenly entered in teh search engine: "Blueprints for Guineapig Hutch" - clicked on the result and got a virus. Was using Panda Internet Security that quarantined it but would not let me delete it - I was dual-booting with GNU/Linux at the time and deleted the nasty from quarantine that way!

I only get the Windows 7 64-bit Pro drive out for hotswap bay to update my website, but on there I have Comodo Internet Security (free), Malwarebytes (free), SUPERAnti-Spyware (free).