Best Security Software

My mcafee is coming to an end. What would be the recommendation from you guys. Thanks

13 minutes ago, smary said:

My mcafee is coming to an end. What would be the recommendation from you guys. Thanks

What operating system have got - Windows ?

OK. In that case, when your McAfee expires - remove it, completely, and so long as you don't  go on dodgy sites/click unknown links etc., the Windows security already installed on your machine should be sufficient - just make sure it is enabled, McAfee may have disabled it.

I don't know too much about current Windows systems as I don't use them now, but from what I have read, the current Windows Defender, or whatever they call it now, is as good as paid-for alternatives.

Edited by RollingJ

27 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

OK. In that case, when your McAfee expires - remove it, completely, and so long as you don't  go on dodgy sites/click unknown links etc., the Windows security already installed on your machine should be sufficient - just make sure it is enabled, McAfee may have disabled it.

I don't know too much about current Windows systems as I don't use them now, but from what I have read, the current Windows Defender, or whatever they call it now, is as good as paid-for alternatives.

And there you have the simple, and right answer. (IMO)

I have only used the built in one on Windows from the release of Windows 10. Now on Windows 11 and still using it. But to put things in perspective, no single Anti Virus software is 100%. It's always a game of cat and mouse. The morons release a computer virus, the race begins again.

As RollingJ said, you have to do your part "don't go on dodgy sites/click unknown links etc" If that little alarm bell rings in your head, just leave whatever it is and move on.

4 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

@zach and @Ghozer - I was about to recommend you guys for better information.

Give me chance to type! Yes I was an IT manager for years, but I'm still crap at typing! ;) 

Edited by zach

Agreed, @zach - I also used Malwarebytes on my last (W7) Windows machine, along with AVG, but they never found anything of significance, probably because I was aware. 😉

I have a USB full of various nasty computer (Viri?) Anyway, a lot of bad stuff that will really spoil your 'Computing' day. I keep it fairly up to date and test on an old PC with a few VM's with various AV software on them. Windows own AV is still giving good results. But I don't know what the morons will think of next. The main reason we have to think twice with anything that looks dodgy...don't click it!

Avast and AVG offer free alternatives.

I've used Avast for years with no issues 👍

1 minute ago, Pyrotequila said:

Avast and AVG offer free alternatives.

I've used Avast for years with no issues 👍

They do - and Avast (who bought AVG) is what I have on my still usable W7 rig.

Malwarebytes is also free.

• Like 1

It's like any PC that's yours. You can decide on the OS (hardware dependant) the web browser or the Anti Virus software etc. There's no law that says 'only use this' There's plenty of people that like you to think that way.

The AV's above were previously tested with the 'nasties USB' both held their own. I like the easy life now. If the built in keeps on par, I'll leave it there.

2 minutes ago, zach said:

It's like any PC that's yours. You can decide on the OS (hardware dependant) the web browser or the Anti Virus software etc. There's no law that says 'only use this' There's plenty of people that like you to think that way.

The AV's above were previously tested with the 'nasties USB' both held their own. I like the easy life now. If the built in keeps on par, I'll leave it there.

My W7 machine only comes out when I need to use two programs on it which don't have easy to use Ubuntu equivalents - and is only connected to the net for one of them, so I don't worry about nasties anyway.

Totally agree re the built in one - although I doubt it would run on W7.