Meadowhead New Football/Rugby Ground Plus More

15 hours ago, Meltman said:

No  I was not referring to parking on residential streets, that would be unfair to the residents. I  wouldn't like it if it happened to me so why would I expect it to happen elsewhere. 

I’m sorry I thought you were . You see  I moved to Norton 9 years ago, a nice quiet road then St James was built and although there is a large car park we get many many people parking on our road, and I can see from my house that the car parks are not full.  So I can pretty much say that even if a large  car park is built some people just do not like to sit in queues to exit and will park on residential roads for a quicker get away. 

• Like 2

I know and understand exactly what you are referring to. The planners should allow for the expected traffic increase and there should be parking restrictions to ensure that the neighbourhood is not inconvenienced too much. 

27 minutes ago, DumDom said:

I’m sorry I thought you were . You see  I moved to Norton 9 years ago, a nice quiet road then St James was built and although there is a large car park we get many many people parking on our road, and I can see from my house that the car parks are not full.  So I can pretty much say that even if a large  car park is built some people just do not like to sit in queues to exit and will park on residential roads for a quicker get away. 

Also people do this because they want to spend longer than 3 hours at the retail park and dont want to go through the faff of getting a parking invoice cancelled. I myself have parked on the road opposite the dual carriageway and walked across to there for this very reason.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Meltman said:

I know and understand exactly what you are referring to. The planners should allow for the expected traffic increase and there should be parking restrictions to ensure that the neighbourhood is not inconvenienced too much. 

The trouble is that many people find parking restrictions inconvenient and don’t want them.

No restriction they could provide is going to be the right solution for everyone.

Planners do take account of traffic and parking, that’s why the promoters of significant developments have to produce traffic impact assessments which set out how much traffic the development will generate and what measures the promoter plans to mitigate any issues.

The problem you have is that planning law is very heavily stacked in favour of the developer. Councils are reluctant to impose conditions that the developer may think are excessive, because they will just appeal it. If the council turns down an application without good reason the developer will appeal and the council will have to pay all their costs if the developer wins. That can be very expensive.

Councils will find it difficult to condition a developer to fund an area wide parking scheme when the developer has already been required to provide sufficient parking on site ( as they have been at the VW/Audi dealership, sports centre and shopping centre)  If the problem only becomes apparent after the development comes into use, you can’t go back and make the developer pay for something else to fix it.

2 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

Also people do this because they want to spend longer than 3 hours at the retail park and dont want to go through the faff of getting a parking invoice cancelled. I myself have parked on the road opposite the dual carriageway and walked across to there for this very reason.

There are also aparrently staff who work at some of the developments along there who have on site parking spaces, but prefer to park in the residential area because it’s easier to make their way out of the area from there. I dealt with complaints from local residents about it when I was at the council. We put in some extra yellow lines to deal with parking in inappropriate locations.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Planner1 said:

The trouble is that many people find parking restrictions inconvenient and don’t want them.

No restriction they could provide is going to be the right solution for everyone.

Planners do take account of traffic and parking, that’s why the promoters of significant developments have to produce traffic impact assessments which set out how much traffic the development will generate and what measures the promoter plans to mitigate any issues.

The problem you have is that planning law is very heavily stacked in favour of the developer. Councils are reluctant to impose conditions that the developer may think are excessive, because they will just appeal it. If the council turns down an application without good reason the developer will appeal and the council will have to pay all their costs if the developer wins. That can be very expensive.

Councils will find it difficult to condition a developer to fund an area wide parking scheme when the developer has already been required to provide sufficient parking on site ( as they have been at the VW/Audi dealership, sports centre and shopping centre)  If the problem only becomes apparent after the development comes into use, you can’t go back and make the developer pay for something else to fix it.

There are also aparrently staff who work at some of the developments along there who have on site parking spaces, but prefer to park in the residential area because it’s easier to make their way out of the area from there. I dealt with complaints from local residents about it when I was at the council. We put in some extra yellow lines to deal with parking in inappropriate locations.

if theres say 1,000 for rugby and if thats same time as the cricket league plus the visitors for the musium and then the indoor sports  and only 500 parking spots and  only one entrance and exit,people will always be lazy and park nearby ,so they dont have to wait as well.

• Like 1

On 29/11/2023 at 19:06, bassett one said:

if theres say 1,000 for rugby and if thats same time as the cricket league plus the visitors for the musium and then the indoor sports  and only 500 parking spots and  only one entrance and exit,people will always be lazy and park nearby ,so they dont have to wait as well.

I thought that usually rugby was played in the autumn /  winter and cricket in the spring / summer.

but some of the cricket/rugby/football music ,visitor centre and indoor/outdoor training centre  will clash and say rugby normal 1,000 plus some others only 500 parking ,plus the entrance/exit are next to a big area well known for crashes ,i am not against this but the entrance /exit and 500 space is mad

Don't worry about It, the planners will have it all in hand. 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, bassett one said:

but some of the cricket/rugby/football music ,visitor centre and indoor/outdoor training centre  will clash and say rugby normal 1,000 plus some others only 500 parking ,plus the entrance/exit are next to a big area well known for crashes ,i am not against this but the entrance /exit and 500 space is mad

Do you actually think that nearly everyone who comes to sporting events comes by car, with an occupancy of 1 per vehicle? 

The Arena has a capacity of 12,000 and has less than 1000 parking spaces. Seems to manage reasonably well.

Edited by Planner1

1 minute ago, Planner1 said:

Do you actually think that nearly everyone who comes to sporting events comes by car, with an occupancy of 1 per vehicle? 

The Arena has a capacity of 12,000 and has less than 1000 spaces. Seems to manage reasonably well.

Got the Tram next to it .

2 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Got the Tram next to it .

And Meadowhead has bus routes close to it.

1 minute ago, Planner1 said:

And Meadowhead has bus routes close to it.

Oh yea , I forgot about the fantastic bus service we have .

• Haha 2