Jump to content


Nokia 110 4g Calling Emergency Even When Locked.

Recommended Posts

Maybe simple,

 

have you tried pressing 1 and 9 a few times, before you put it your pocket, it might work,  then again it might not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

It's obvious why they do it, but it's still a stupid idea. It's a classic modern society disproportionate reaction.

 

"We want to make it easier to call emergency services under and circumstance because it might save  a life (regardless of any issues that it might cause)"

 

In the first place it (being able to dial emergency without unlocking a phone which all owners would know how to unlock anyway) is highly unlikely to save a life.

On the other hand all these phones making unwanted calls to emergency numbers is not only very frustrating for the phone's owners it's frustrating and time wasting for the emergency services as well.

So, to sum up, it's a stupid idea, and none of my other phones had this "feature".

You're demonstrating your inability to view things from anything other than your own perspective again. Imagine someone's been in an accident, are concussed (so not operating at full mental capacity) and have injured hands (so don't have your normal manual dexterity). Or even imagine you've been in an accident, you're OK but your phone has been bust/lost and the only available phone belongs to someone else who is unconscious. How are you going to swipe an unlock pattern in those circumstances.

 

Those who have to deal with responding to false emergency calls, the ones who actually know the impacts of false calls versus the impacts of people not being able to call in a real emergency, think it's better to have to deal with false calls rather than have people die because they can't call. They are the ones with the expertise and they are the ones who have to deal with the consequences. I'll trust their judgement over yours.

 

If you're that bothered about it get a flip phone. The world isn't going to change itself just to fit your foibles.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, altus said:

You're demonstrating your inability to view things from anything other than your own perspective again. Imagine someone's been in an accident, are concussed (so not operating at full mental capacity) and have injured hands (so don't have your normal manual dexterity). Or even imagine you've been in an accident, you're OK but your phone has been bust/lost and the only available phone belongs to someone else who is unconscious. How are you going to swipe an unlock pattern in those circumstances.

 

Those who have to deal with responding to false emergency calls, the ones who actually know the impacts of false calls versus the impacts of people not being able to call in a real emergency, think it's better to have to deal with false calls rather than have people die because they can't call. They are the ones with the expertise and they are the ones who have to deal with the consequences. I'll trust their judgement over yours.

 

If you're that bothered about it get a flip phone. The world isn't going to change itself just to fit your foibles.

You talk like what I am wanting is somehow abnormal. But all phones used to be like that, i.e. all numbers were locked and one of the reasons, ironically, was to stop the phone accidentally dialling the emergency numbers ! 

And, I am not the only one searching on the internet seeking chow to get all the numbers on my phone locked.

 

A more general point is proportionality, something sadly lacking in the modern world.

How many times would your scenario occur in say, the UK ?

I cannot think it would be very often at all, yet they force everyone with that type of phone to have it such that it keeps dialling the emergency numbers, or they to force them to get a case for their phone which then take up far more room in ones pocket etc etc

And how much time in emergency call centres is wasted answering accidental calls ? I'd have thought that would potentially cost more lives.

Nokia should give the customer the option of disabling all numbers, then owners can decide what they want to do for themselves. But the modern trend is against that, it's we (society) will tell you how to act "to keep us all safe". Where have I heard that before.....

Edited by Chekhov

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chekhov said:

But all phones used to be like that, i.e. all numbers were locked and one of the reasons, ironically, was to stop the phone accidentally dialling the emergency numbers ! 

What phones? 

My mum used to have one of the old-school Nokia 5110 "brick" phones, even that you could still call emergency number with the keypad locked... You can even call them without a SIM in most phones....

Edited by Ghozer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chekhov said:

You talk like what I am wanting is somehow abnormal. But all phones used to be like that, i.e. all numbers were locked and one of the reasons, ironically, was to stop the phone accidentally dialling the emergency numbers ! 

And, I am not the only one searching on the internet seeking chow to get all the numbers on my phone locked.

 

Have a think about what events might have lead to that change to being made.

 

Quote

A more general point is proportionality, something sadly lacking in the modern world.

How many times would your scenario occur in say, the UK ?

I cannot think it would be very often at all, yet they force everyone with that type of phone to have it such that it keeps dialling the emergency numbers, or they to force them to get a case for their phone which then take up far more room in ones pocket etc etc

And how much time in emergency call centres is wasted answering accidental calls ? I'd have thought that would potentially cost more lives.

Nokia should give the customer the option of disabling all numbers, then owners can decide what they want to do for themselves. But the modern trend is against that, it's we (society) will tell you how to act "to keep us all safe". Where have I heard that before.....

It doesn't matter what you think, you aren't a person with experience of running emergency call centres and so can't make anything other that wild suppositions based on whatever you imagine the frequency and impacts of the problems they face to be.

 

As I said in my previous post:

Quote

I'll trust their judgement over yours.

 

43 minutes ago, Ghozer said:

What phones? 

My mum used to have one of the old-school Nokia 5110 "brick" phones, even that you could still call emergency number with the keypad locked... You can even call them without a SIM in most phones....

He's complaining he can't prevent his phone from dialling the emergency number when it's in his pocket.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ghozer said:

What phones? 

My mum used to have one of the old-school Nokia 5110 "brick" phones, even that you could still call emergency number with the keypad locked... You can even call them without a SIM in most phones....

I had a Nokia 2310, I always had that on Lock, and never called the emergency services by accident. I never thought to check if it actually locked all numbers because it never called any number whilst in lock emergency or otherwise, or even started calling them. So I just assumed it locked all buttons !

 

21 minutes ago, altus said:

Have a think about what events might have lead to that change to being made.

Sorry, what has changed that makes life so much more dangerous now than 10  or 20 years ago that people have to be able to call 999 whilst their phone is in lock mode (when they didn't before) ?

 

>>I'll trust their judgement over yours.<<

 

Let me reverse the question : what has happened relatively recently such that many people, and me for sure, do not trust other people to make judgment calls about their lives.....

Edited by Chekhov

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's actually part of the original GSM specification that emergency calls should be possible when the phone is in a locked state... (and also with no SIM card)

if you want to rage at someone, rage at ETSI (European Telecommunications Standards Institute) - as they are the ones who made the decision...

Edited by Ghozer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Ghozer said:

It's actually part of the original GSM specification that emergency calls should be possible when the phone is in a locked state.

Hang on, hang on. Are we confirming then that Chekhov was totally wrong?

 

I am sure he will admit his mistake....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Ghozer said:

It's actually part of the original GSM specification that emergency calls should be possible when the phone is in a locked state... (and also with no SIM card)
if you want to rage at someone, rage at ETSI (European Telecommunications Standards Institute) - as they are the ones who made the decision...

So why did my old Nokia 2310 never make an emergency call then ?

Have they change the "regulations" since that was manufactured ?

I could believe it if that was the case, typical modern modern risk aversion ballcocks.

 

For all Health & Safety edicts we should ask : exactly how much safer will it make us if my phone is able to make emergency calls even when locked ? = As close to zero as it is possible to be without actually being zero

 

And what are we sacrificing to achieve that ? = Loads of annoyance and unnecessary calls to the emergency services..

Edited by Chekhov

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

So why did my old Nokia 2310 never make an emergency call then ?

Have they change the "regulations" since that was manufactured ?

I could believe it if that was the case, typical modern modern risk aversion ballcocks.

 

For all Health & Safety edicts we should ask : exactly how much safer will it make us if my phone is able to make emergency calls even when locked ? = As close to zero as it is possible to be without actually being zero

 

And what are we sacrificing to achieve that ? = Loads of annoyance and unnecessary calls to the emergency services..

A simple suggestion - upgrade the phone to a 'non-button' type. I've no idea, but how old is the Nokia?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RollingJ said:

A simple suggestion - upgrade the phone to a 'non-button' type. I've no idea, but how old is the Nokia?

I have only just bought it ! I want a small non smart phone so I can get away from the internet (and not get digital dementia....).

But why should I be forced to buy a new phone (or new baggier trousers ! ) just because they stop me from fully locking my phone ? ! ? 

Edited by Chekhov

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

I have only just bought it ! I want a small non smart phone so I can get away from the internet (and not get digital dementia....).

But why should I be forced to buy a new phone (or new baggier trousers ! ) just because they stop me from fully locking my phone ? ! ? 

Fair enough - although I have a 'smart' phone, with a very small data allowance -which  is never used, but there if I need it. And it stays locked, and unable to dial out, unless I physically unlock it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
√ó
√ó
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.