The Golden Generation, It's Coming To An End Now, Big Time.

Just in case anyone needed further reminding, quite how well the boomers had it.

q8c1Usf.jpg

2 hours ago, geared said:

Just in case anyone needed further reminding, quite how well the boomers had it.

q8c1Usf.jpg

A third of a pint of milk for us in the UK instead and even that got taken away.

Still sooner have milk than wine though.

I dunno, forth period foreign languages after half a litre of wine at lunch would be pretty interesting.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, geared said:

I dunno, forth period foreign languages after half a litre of wine at lunch would be pretty interesting.

As would the back of the bike sheds too.

On thinking about it,  I understand why they gave us milk.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I have just read "The Complete Dambusters", a book which, amongst other things, traces the history of all the aircrew on the famous dams raid.

Of those who did not die on the raid itself (53 died = 40%) or in later Bomber Command operations (a further 32 died in later ops),  most died between 1980 and 2000. The average age of death of the survivors was about 74*. The latter figure can be taken as the kind of age the previous generation to "the Goldens" would have lived to. The Golden generation would live about 10 years (or more) longer and, of course, all of it would be whilst retired. Plus, of course, the Goldens did not have to fight a war either !

On the other hand, to be fair, how much of that additional 10 years would be spent in poor health ? Who would want that ? Not me for sure.

* "Johnny" Johnson lived the longest, he lived to 101.

Edited by Chekhov

On 24/11/2023 at 16:32, Organgrinder said:

As would the back of the bike sheds too.

On thinking about it,  I understand why they gave us milk.

I am pretty sure that much of the "behind the bike sheds" behaviour considered more or less par for the course back in the 1970s would have social services informed these days.

I wonder where checky gets some of his weird ideas from ?

He seems to think there have been no wars since 1945 and so the "Goldens" have never had to fight a war.

It must be really convenient sometimes,  to live in a make believe world where nothing happened  unless you decided to acknowledge it.

I don't know how long he's been around but,  even  for those who didn't actually fight in them,  there have been a real lot of News At Ten etc.  programs  covering various wars our politicians have arranged for us.

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

He seems to think there have been no wars since 1945 and so the "Goldens" have never had to fight a war.

It must be really convenient sometimes,  to live in a make believe world where nothing happened  unless you decided to acknowledge it.

I don't know how long he's been around but,  even  for those who didn't actually fight in them,  there have been a real lot of News At Ten etc.  programs  covering various wars our politicians have arranged for us.

WWII UK deaths (incl civilians) = approx 450,000 (a huge number, but proportionally much less than Germany, or Russia, or even France)

Malayan Emergency UK deaths (almost all military) = approx 2,500

Korean war UK deaths (almost all military) = approx 1,100

Northern Ireland "Troubles" UK deaths (incl civilians) = approx 3,500

Falklands UK deaths (almost all military) = approx 250

Iraq and Afghanistan deaths (almost all military) = approx 600

Have I missed any ?

(killed on UK roads every year on average, about 2000.....) 

Edited by Chekhov

13 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

The clue is in the phrase ‚Äėhad to‚Äô. I think the¬†last time conscripts fought a war was the Korean War which was before the baby boomers‚Äô time.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, Jim Hardie said:

The clue is in the phrase ‚Äėhad to‚Äô. I think the¬†last time conscripts fought a war was the Korean War which was before the baby boomers‚Äô time.

You are correct Jim, but the relatively small chance of death [in the Korean war] rather puts it all into perspective anyway.

Incidentally, at that time (1950) road deaths were around 5000 a year, nearly 5X the number killed in the Korean war.....

1024px-Killed_on_British_Roads.png

Edited by Chekhov

Posted (edited)

No moving the goalposts  -  a common theme with Chekhov's posts.

No one was referring to the amount of deaths caused and no one was definitely referring to British road deaths.

Britain has been almost constantly at war since 1945 and serving military personell   "had to"  go to war when told.

https://www.historyguy.com/british_wars_1945present.htm

A hell of a lot of British men have been to war since 1945 and that is a fact.

Edited by Organgrinder

Posted (edited)

I was made in 1942 , Back of a Rover so the story goes ,

Bombs were still dropping on Sheffield , We had a Anderson shelter in our garden so as to trick them Jerry's into bombing our house instead .

I slept in a cupboard in my foster mams bed room , I had a gas mask that I could lay down to sleep in , The gas mask was lined with asbestos just to keep me safe from a World where Wars were raging and millions being shot , bombed , gassed, and forgot about .

The war ended in 1945 so they said , but it din't it went on for years , The Japs kept it going then the Chinese decided to have a go in Korea , I saw lots of those young soldiers as I began to take notice in those early years , Saw them being sent to different parts of the Empire to fight people who meant us no harm , 

On my bed when I eventually got one ,I was covered by army blankets, Rough as a bears arse they were , made you itch and scratch , But in winter you was as warm as toast even though there was frost on the inside of windows , 

Mi Mam Mable who fostered me would wrap the oven plate out of the Yorkshire range in one of those blankets and put it in my bed before I got in , it was heaven and she was a proper Saint not one of them made up ones .

My first ever memory is of snow so deep it came up to the cross arms of the gas lamps on Gleadless Crescent (now murdered by the council)    That would have been around 1947 ish .  

I was going on 5 then but still went out to play in those snow drifts wi rest of the kids ,

Sledging down deserted steep hills as no cars or buses were running .

First day at school aged 5 , no roorin at school gate , just "get thi sen off and behave"  It was a mile away and we walked it there and back four times a day as we came home for us dinner .

At that time some kids had rickets at that time although it was rare due to us lot getting Osta milk in tins and Orange juice from clinic on Manor top , All our family used to dip in to my ration because mi mam knew district  nurse who felt sorry for me being in foster care so gave her double helping ,  I was popular  i was.

Some kids had purple stuff rubbed onto their head because they had some kind of skin disease , Impetigo or summat it was called .   I got scarlet fever as well they isolated me behind a hung blanket soaked in dettol  thought i was going to snuff it 

Any way some say it was good old days , Well  I  will tell you now it wern"t , Our lot were skint ,  

Miners were suffering from lung disease , They had to go in front of panels to claim panel money , same for building workers and steel workers .

So we left school on a Friday at 15 years old . The following Monday some of us were down Treeton or  Orgreave pit .

No me though I was on a building site working with a horse . good old days my arse.

Edited by cuttsie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1