AB Gelder Automobiles

Sadly Tony passed away a few years ago as did one of his employees John Lougheran.

Hi, I knew Tony very well from about 1968, he used to but kit cars and a very good friend of mine who owned Rydal garage used to construct them for Tony. When Tony was in Sharrowvale Road, Rydal garage was underneath the showroom. At the time Tony had a dark blue mint V12 e type jag stood outside the showroom with a notice on it

NOT FOR SALE and he used to say it was the best selling tool he had because it drew people into the showroom, he was a lovely, lovely guy. My first wife worked for him for a while at London road, and any of his good friends will remember the beebee gun fad!

---------- Post added 20-02-2017 at 09:38 ----------

Hi Bill Lawson was an ex=copper and frequented Tony,s when he was at London Road and Sharrowvale Road. My best mate owned Rydal garage which was underneath the showroom and did a lot of work for Tony, we were a small friendly crowd, John who worked for Tony had a cat he used to call cooking fat ( think about it!) and some of the things we got up to beggars belief, I could fill a page with stories!!

---------- Post added 20-02-2017 at 09:39 ----------

Bill Lawson was an ex copper I don't know the other guys name, that could be memory loss!!

---------- Post added 20-02-2017 at 09:42 ----------

I knew Tony from both his showrooms, even got to crash a brand new vixen doing Tony a favour!!

It was Terry Stone who had Rydal Garage he previously worked for David Wragg at Wood Lane garage David raced formula Fords and Terry learned a lot from him.John who worked for Tony also had a Brough Superior which was his dads sadly john has also gone I was with the day before he went.

Thanks for the info.

My 1972 TVR Vixen was sold by AB Gelder. Do you maybe have any old pictures from the garage or cars they sold?

It was Terry Stone who had Rydal Garage he previously worked for David Wragg at Wood Lane garage David raced formula Fords and Terry learned a lot from him.John who worked for Tony also had a Brough Superior which was his dads sadly john has also gone I was with the day before he went.
Hi BB,.......Terry Stone did a number of jobs on cars for me at the time.I was in Stannington church choir alongside David and Pam Wragg. Did you know Adrian Bethel who worked for David, or Barry Joel my ex business partner who also raced cars? We used to go round to Tony's and have a tear in some of his motors up around Mayfields where Tony moved to before he died!

I remember the garage on the corner of London Road and Alderson Road. If memory serves me correctly, I believe that in the late 1950's, it sold Volkswagens.

Hi there I used to work at T C Harrison, I knew a chap who worked at Rydal Garage he owned a LHD Ford Mustang, he gave me a lift to work once, brilliant.

David Wragg was a good mate of mine we went to college together and then he started doing MOTs for me I remember Pam going round for car parts in a bikini in the summer but no i didnt know the people you mentioned but i know he used to race with Anita Taylor Trevor Taylors sister.Trevor had Steering Wheel Garage along with his parents at Bramley not far from where i live now.Trevor drove for Lotus with Jim Clarke but sadly died without the riches or fame which were rightly his.Ive not seen David Wragg for years he was deivering tyres for Hawleys the last time i did and believe him and Pam now live in Lincolnshire.Tony Gelder had a good reputation when he was dealing in Second hand Volvo's