Sign in to follow this  

Flights to London from Sheffield?

Just read on Sheffield Today website that a Manchester based airline called 'Fly-Chaufair' are considering starting flights from Sheffield City Airport to London Heathrow. They would be twice a day, three days a week. They are trying to canvass people's opinion about it.

I for one would certainly use it if it were a resonable price.

What do you guyz think?:)

problem is, the inconvenience of getting to the airport, and then the fact that Heathrow isn't exactly central. It wouldn't be very useful for travel to London..

I would only see it being useful if you were using it as a stepping stone to connect to an onward flight at Heathrow..

There used to be flights from Sheffield to London City Airport, which is much more central than Heathrow.

Yes, Heathrow isn't exactly very conveniently located! You then need to get the train into Central London.

City Airport is more central, but isn't on the underground, so not sure if that was any more convenient.

The previous air service stopped because not enough people used it. I don't see how it will be any different this time.

It is clearly a service aimed at business travellers, and the business travel market demands flexibility. With only 2 flights a day will it be attractive enough?

From Manchester the plane is a big competitor of the train, however from Manchester the air service matches the trains hourly frequency.

From Sheffield the plane cannot match Midland Mainline's frequency. Or with a drive to Doncaster (not that much futher than driving to the airport at Tinsley really) GNER, with its high speed 1.5 hour journey time, can more or less match the planes journey time, once you take into account the time it takes for checking in and city centre transfer.

City Airport wasn't too bad, you could get the East London Line to Stratford and then hop on the Central Line or Jubliee Line from there.

Actually, Heathrow wasn't too bad really. I lived in East London and could get over to Heathrow in about 90 minutes. From where I worked in Holborn it was about an hour on the Piccadilly line - which is probably the least stupidly crowded line on the tube network.

I thought the main problem with Sheffield airport was the length of the runway. I'm sure I read that it was limiting the type of plane that could be used, so those used were more expensive to maintain, which only added to the problems of limited usage.

Financially, it only really competed with the train if you were buying an open return for £105 which I only had the misfortune to pay once.

I'll stick the Midland Mainline, still my favourite train company. GNER services are just TOO busy.

Originally posted by jonathand

Financially, it only really competed with the train if you were buying an open return for £105 which I only had the misfortune to pay once.

Even those paying the top First Inclusive price with 1st class travel, breakfast, underground and car parking were still getting it cheaper than the plane!

It's a fabulous idea! Providing the times are ok it has to beat the train. The last time I went to London on the Master Cutler it was £360 for 2 first class tickets and all I got for breakfast was a Danish, and it was late getting there, and getting back - USELESS... NEVER AGAIN!!!!

Roll on flight links to London!

Originally posted by Dr Feelgood

Just read on Sheffield Today website that a Manchester based airline called 'Fly-Chaufair' are considering starting flights from Sheffield City Airport to London Heathrow. They would be twice a day, three days a week. They are trying to canvass people's opinion about it.

I for one would certainly use it if it were a resonable price.

What do you guyz think?:)

What with the terrorist threat etc, wouldn't the check-in and out times (especially Heathrow) make a journey take prohibitively longer than the flight time, especially when London-Doncaster is just over an hour and a half by train (add 20-30 mins Sheffield to Doncaster).

Even cost-wise, it's pretty easy to get a return to London by train for £25, if you're not fussed about very early trains or other odd times.

I heard that the airport was to be closed in the very near future in favour of more retail/light industrial/callcenters which would be built on the site. Has anyone else heard anything to the contrary?

Well I for one would be in favour of it.

As for the airport closing - it's quite busy at the mo!

No it seems a complete waste of time - especially if it's going to Heathrow. I'll pay a tenner and get squished on a train instead if I have to go London - otherwise I'll just stay away from the hell hole.