Sign in to follow this  

New to knitting - a few questions

Thanks Hecate for your help. I'll have a look for the point protectors. I bought some clover bamboo ones via the internet ready for my next project as it's a blanket made of patches and needed 5mm needles, so I have bought them ready for when I have done the scarf.

You'll definitely see the difference with the Clover needles. I used their DPNs for the first time recently and was extremely impressed with their quality. The very fine bamboo DPNs have a tendency to split very slightly at the tip, resulting in a rough feel, but I've yet to notice that with the Clover DPNs.

I look forward to seeing some photos of your finished projects. The blanket sounds interesting. I think it was another knitting forumer, beansforyou, who mentioned that she was thinking about making a blanket from knitted patches too. (Sorry, beansforyou, if it wasn't you, but I haven't checked back for the original post).

Thanks for helping me with the link things! I hope you realised that you just created a monster?

Thanks for helping me with the link things! I hope you realised that you just created a monster?

You're welcome :) . I don't mind, as long as you keep the pictures of that strange dog-human thing out of my knitting group... :hihi:

You're welcome :) . I don't mind, as long as you keep the pictures of that strange dog-human thing out of my knitting group... :hihi:

But thats my pet.

Also like to thank you for the links as I have them very helpful. Just wish I could do the thumb cast on though. I have two books with it in and I have watched the video, but I still don't get it! I think I managed it, but then was confused because the wool tail for the wool ball was on the wrong side of the needle and it confused me totally. Is this what usually happens when you thumb cast?

I cheated and ended up cable casting on for the scarf as I couldn't do the thumb, so I hope it doesn't mess the scarf up.

Hi Doodle :wave:

Thumb cast on is easy when you know how, i gave up trying to work out with instructions and pictures in my knitting books and i did get a better idea when i watched the video on knittinghelp.com but it took abit of figuring out. I'll cast on a few and talk through it see if that helps..? it might not do though! :P

Right...as you know from the video you need to leave enough yarn for all the cast on stitches to be 'worked'. So you do your slipknot, leaving enough yarn. So i'm looking at my needle and its got a slipknot on it (i apologise for the photos they're terrible they involved me pushing the button with my nose as the OH wouldn't help!) and the yarn thats going to be worked onto my cast on stitches is nearest to me the rest of the yarn is at the back, i'm tired and have worked 13 hours today so i can't figure out if this is just personal preference. :) Then i get the yarn for casting on (the yarn at the front)and kind of wrap it around my thumb(that photos abit misleading because i've had to do it so 'wide' or far apart to 1, take the photo and 2, show easier what im doing.) So you've got it kind of half wrapped around your thumb and then you complete the yarn 'ring' around your thumb by pushing the needle up kiind of along your thumb upwards and then bring the yarn attched to your ball of wool (so the yarn that was in your right hand and bring it around your needle, pull it round and hold it firmly then with the loop of yarn you have around your thumb bring that over the needle and therefore off your thumb. You should be able to tighten this 'loop by gently pulling the casting on yarn - not the one attached to your ball of yarn. - Now that might have made no sense to you or helped you greatly, let us know if theres any part i haven't explained properly and i'll give it another go. Good luck! And sorry again about the shoddy photos!

Rooty, thanks for posting that, and taking the time to take photos too :) . I'll PM doodle just to make sure she sees it.

I was expecting to log on this morning and see a beautifully cast on set of stitches from Jabberwocky as he promised - but no:( So where is your knitting Jabberwocky?

LisaH xxx

I was expecting to log on this morning and see a beautifully cast on set of stitches from Jabberwocky as he promised - but no:( So where is your knitting Jabberwocky?

LisaH xxx

He says he's given up with the needles he has. He says he'll have another go with the bamboo ones he's going to get today. I'm not holding my breath...

I tried! Oh how I tried! The wool and the needles just ...just.....drove me mad!

But tomorrow Im going to get bamboo needles and some decent wool as Hecate demand--Suggested. I`m not going to let it beat me, because I`m male, and as such, a superior being.

He says he's given up with the needles he has. He says he'll have another go with the bamboo ones he's going to get today. I'm not holding my breath...

Look I`ll do it!! I`m not going to let a couple of sticks and some processed sheeps fur beat me.

Its thundering badly here and im scared. I want my mummy.

Look I`ll do it!! I`m not going to let a couple of sticks and some processed sheeps fur beat me.

Its thundering badly here and im scared. I want my mummy.

What you need to do then is to try and take your mind off it - go and cast on man:D

LisaH xxx

What you need to do then is to try and take your mind off it - go and cast on man:D

LisaH xxx

Honestly, seriously I HAVE tried hard to cast on. Ive tried so hard too, but...I dont think I evolved enough fingers or hands, I keep dropping the needle or the wool, or I get tangled in it.

Im going to wait until I get the bamboo knitting sticks and some half decent wool before I try again.

N.B.

I`m going to keep calling them knitting sticks until Hecate takes the bait and bites, its becoming a point of honour now.