Sign in to follow this  

New to knitting - a few questions

I've just started knitting after going to the beginners lesson at Cole Brother's last week. I've started a scarf using Rown Plaid wool and following the pattern out of my book - which is just knit stiches.

I was wondering if you can get something to put on the end of your knitting needles to make sure that your stiches don't come off when you put the knitting away/down as I worry all the time that they will come off and I'm going to have to start the whole thing again as I'm not confident enough to work out what has happened.

Also I bought some bamboo 8mm needles to do my scarf as I used bamboo needles when I was taught at Coles. I really like the feel of them and they are so light, but I have noticed that I'm getting line dints on my needles from my knitting. Is this usual? Or am I being too heavy handed?

Also like to thank you for the links as I have them very helpful. Just wish I could do the thumb cast on though. I have two books with it in and I have watched the video, but I still don't get it! I think I managed it, but then was confused because the wool tail for the wool ball was on the wrong side of the needle and it confused me totally. Is this what usually happens when you thumb cast?

I cheated and ended up cable casting on for the scarf as I couldn't do the thumb, so I hope it doesn't mess the scarf up.

Yeahhhhh.... You put down exactly the same things im having trouble with. I dont have bamboo needles though, I was given some inch thick poles. I may have to get bamboo after all.

Hi doodle :wave:

...I was wondering if you can get something to put on the end of your knitting needles to make sure that your stiches don't come off when you put the knitting away/down...

You can. They're called point protectors (scroll down to about two-thirds down the page). You should be able to pick some up at any shop which sells wool though. They come in a range of sizes, depending on the size of your needles, though a set of two or three pairs should cover all eventualities.

...I have noticed that I'm getting line dints on my needles from my knitting. Is this usual? Or am I being too heavy handed?...

Bamboo needles are prone to getting litle dints on them, especially if you knit fairly tightly (like me). I've found that the less expensive brands are particularly prone to it. The Clover takumi bamboo needles are a little more expensive than some, but tend to be a little more resistant to dints. Then again, some of my bamboo needles have a few dints in them, and I haven't had a problem with it interfering with the knitting.

...Also like to thank you for the links as I have them very helpful. Just wish I could do the thumb cast on though. I have two books with it in and I have watched the video, but I still don't get it! I think I managed it, but then was confused because the wool tail for the wool ball was on the wrong side of the needle and it confused me totally. Is this what usually happens when you thumb cast? I cheated and ended up cable casting on for the scarf as I couldn't do the thumb, so I hope it doesn't mess the scarf up.

You're welcome :) . I must admit to not having used the thumb method for a while, so i can't give you any specific advice. I tend to use the long-tail cast-on when I want a stretchy edge, and the cable cast-on otherwise.

Using the cable cast-on shouldn't be a problem for your scarf. What you do need to be careful of is when you come to cast-off, especially if you tend to knit fairly tightly. When you cast-off the stitches, make sure you do it fairly loosely, or you'll end up with a cast-off edge which might be significantly more narrow than the cast-on edge!

It's usually just a question of persevering though. I'm having all sorts of problems trying to get used to the Magic Loop method of sock knitting at the minute. It's driving me potty. I'm hoping that it'll just click into place after a few more goes at it. Fingers crossed.

Yeahhhhh.... You put down exactly the same things im having trouble with. I dont have bamboo needles though, I was given some inch thick poles. I may have to get bamboo after all.

Look, give me your address and I'll send you a pair of bamboo needles and some appropriate yarn. I'm determined to get you casting on some stitches.

especially if you knit fairly tightly (like me).

:hihi: Make me think of the time when I'd just started to knit and made a pigs ear of it!! We were at my mother in laws (She taught me!) and she took it to try and sort out the mess I had made, "my god you do knit tight" she said!!!!!!!

Look, give me your address and I'll send you a pair of bamboo needles and some appropriate yarn. I'm determined to get you casting on some stitches.

I CAN do it I promise! I`m going to town again on Thursday and Im going to get Bamboo needles even though they look horrible. Do they make transparent ones? Breed transparent Bamboo? I know its childish but I just have to have transparent needles!

The ones I was given are as thick as my little finger.

I CAN do it I promise! I`m going to town again on Thursday and Im going to get Bamboo needles even though they look horrible. Do they make transparent ones? Breed transparent Bamboo? I know its childish but I just have to have transparent needles!

The ones I was given are as thick as my little finger.

You can get transparent needles, but they're glass. Lovely, but a bugger to knit with - I should imagine - due to the lack of flexibility.

Transparent bamboo? Er, no; I don't think so... Bamboo needles are lovely though; so much texture and grain, and different in each one.

If you want to use really thick needles, you'll need equally chunky yarn. That's fine, but probably not the best for a beginner.

You can get transparent needles, but they're glass. Lovely, but a bugger to knit with - I should imagine - due to the lack of flexibility.

Transparent bamboo? Er, no; I don't think so... Bamboo needles are lovely though; so much texture and grain, and different in each one.

If you want to use really thick needles, you'll need equally chunky yarn. That's fine, but probably not the best for a beginner.

Yeahhhh I like those! I KNOW its childish but I cant resist anything shiny, I just hope they dont put me off... ok ok ok I`ll go for the bamboo! I can always get glass when I`m more proficient.

Yeahhhh I like those! I KNOW its childish but I cant resist anything shiny, I just hope they dont put me off... ok ok ok I`ll go for the bamboo! I can always get glass when I`m more proficient.

I really want some of thosse needles too. I doubt I'd use them though. I think I'd put them in a jar on my bookcase where I could admire them.

I wonder if they make glow in the dark ones...Am I being brash now? Crass? Tasteless?

Without meaning to be :suspect: wary, I was wondering when we're going to see some effort from Jabberwocky:rolleyes: