Tracing Birth mothers?

I realise it's a very long shot but here goes anyway!

My mum is trying to trace her birth mother but has very little information.

My mum was born on November 18th 1943. Her mother's surname was Plant. She was unmarried and lived somewhere in Sharrow. When my mum was born, she was left in the hospital. Her Mother was discharged, my mum was a bit poorly and had to stay in. She never went back for her.

She named my mum Sonia and put her up for adoption. She was eventually adopted aged 6.

She was unmarried but it's known that her boyfriend (presumably my mums father) was in the forces.

I know it's along shot but thought it was worth a try.

If anyone has any information we'd be really grateful.

Thanks

If you didn't already know, the Salvation Army have a Family Tracing Service. You have to pay and it's not cheap but maybe it's something you could try?

The people who arranged the adoption 'should' have details. With it being in the 1940's it may be a long shot tho.

Are there no records on her birth certificate or at the registry office? They may be a first port of call as I am sure they are confronted with questions like this fairly regularly.

If they cannot help directly then they may be able to put her onto a group or organisation who can!

Moon

I know to some extent of what your going through, I am searching for my sister who was given up for adoption in 1968 by my mum, through no choice of her own. Mum wasn't allowed to keep her baby and was made to give her up for adoption by her parents. There isn't a day goes by when mum doesn't think about her. Have you tried posting messages on adoption sites, there are many sites where you can post/search messages for free, i have posted messages on many of these sites and some people will email you offering advice.

hope this helps and good luck with your search

best wishes x

My father was adopted.

I knew nothing of his birth mother.so I sent away for his birth cert;.It cost B.P 11.50.

If you know the birth name and D of B It will tell you who the mother was,father[if he wished to be known ]Place of residence and place of birth.

I have sinced traced my fathers side to Ireland

Hi,

who registered your mums birth ?, and what name was on the certificate ? if this is of no use then i suggest the sheffield archives to try and trace the name plant to sharrow, unfortunately the 1901 census might not show anything unless the was aged 43/44 when your mum was born, maybe the freeBMD could throw something up, but most of the records available do not include any living person so you would have to try the archives, if she was not married then the family will include her details, try things like electoral rolls or the IGI (international genealogical index) if you have a rough date of birth for her you could get someone who does searches to try and locate her it does not usually cost too much. or you could try the registers of baptism to try and find her.

good luck with your search.

paul

Hi, I too am searching for my birth mother and 2, 1/2 brothers. I found out quite a bit from 'findmypast.co.uk' There are so many sites to go to and finding the ones you do not have to pay on is quite a task in itself.

Stick with it, I'm sure it will be worth it whatever the outcome.

i know someone who traced her sister who was given up for adoption in the 1950s via the social services, basically you phone them give them details and they help you find your relative, it cost about £80

Were your grandparents names Victor and Maude?