Overclocking

My computer quite often closes down without being prompted my me and the message "overclocking" appears. How can I stop it from doing this?

I'd be surprised if it is overclocking, as that's something that's practically impossible to do without knowing how to, and it's not something a PC would just do by itself.

As a first point of call I'd run a full virus scan.

Thanks, Pyrotequila. I'll run the full virus scan now. 

If it's saying "overclocking" it could be that it's referring to your RAM...  would be better if you can note down the WHOLE message next time it happens, should give a better idea! :)

if your RAM is higher-speed and using XMP, that is effectively 'factory' overclocking... it also depends where you got the machine from originally, it could be the CPU was slightly overclocked...

Could potentially just need a good clean out (physically and software)

• Like 1

I've seen this message (or one like it) but only on boot via a BIOS message. Some boards are just fussy with RAM, mix that with the above (XMP) and it can cause issues.

Check the BIOS and any firmware updates are done.

And to repeat again "Could potentially just need a good clean out (physically and software)"

When I got the message, nothing was overclocked. I reset the BIOS to default and then set the BIOS to exactly the same settings with XMP1 3200 and it booted up fine. That PC has been on 24/7 for over 3 years (apart from cleaning and updates) It might be getting a bit tired now! ;) 

• Like 1

Thank you Zach and Ghozer. I ran a full virus search: nothing found. The machine was ok for ten years after I first got it and I've done nothing to over clock it. Now I'll try what you say, Zach and give the pc a physical clear out first, then a software cleanup. Thanks everyone again.

If it's ten years old already, it's probably time to think about an upgrade anyway.

You're easily into the timeframe where components fail due to old age, and it's simply not worth the time, effort or cost to fix such an old system.

• Like 1

Ok Geared, I hear what you're saying. But I think I'll keep this machine until it packs up a bit worse. Incidentally I am 87 years old. Do you think I need replacing too?

• Haha 1

If only getting old was so easy, that you could just go out and replace yourself with the newest model.

Edited by geared
  • Like 1

87 years old! Impressive, especially when we are constantly told on here by some that the elderly cant use new technology whatsoever.

• Like 1

On 09/09/2023 at 13:27, woolyhead said:

Ok Geared, I hear what you're saying. But I think I'll keep this machine until it packs up a bit worse. Incidentally I am 87 years old. Do you think I need replacing too?

After cleaning the pc out and replacing the processor's heat sink compound, everything is ok now. PC runs like it should, despite its great age! 

• Like 4

@HeHasRisen

You have to remember that Woolyhead has been using computers for a long period of time. A close neighbour is 87 years old and they don't store any numbers in their landline handset. They consider that to be 'new technology' and don't want to learn anything technological.