Walkley Post Office earmarked for closure!

You may be interested to know that Councillor Veronica Hardstaff has written to the PO registering her protest and our MP, Helen Jackson, is going to write to the minister responsible for the PO as well as to the PO themselves.

How can Helen Jackson say that she is writing to the post office bosses to ask them to reconsider post office closures. Has she forgotten that on two occasions, 13th. Jan and 15th May 2002, she and other Sheffield Labour MPs voted with the government for motions that refused to relook at the closure programme. Surely it is political opportunism in the extreme to support post office closures in Westminster and campaign against them in her home constituency.

DWB

I wrote a letter to complain but I couldn't find anywhere to post it, so it's still sat on my desk o_0

Originally posted by dwbaker

How can Helen Jackson say that she is writing to the post office bosses to ask them to reconsider post office closures. Has she forgotten that on two occasions, 13th. Jan and 15th May 2002, she and other Sheffield Labour MPs voted with the government for motions that refused to relook at the closure programme.

]

Could it be something to do with the June 10th local elections and the autumn national elections?

Originally posted by Tony

Could it be something to do with the June 10th local elections and the autumn national elections?

No, it's to do with being approached by local pensioners and being asked to do something about the closure.:loopy:

Originally posted by Captain_Scarlet

The PO on Chesterfield Road/Derbyshire Lane is up for a proposed closure.

admitting it closes, where the hell is the next PO? Like deep in Woodseats, that's like 4( mins walk man, compared to the 20 to go to Derby's Lane.

PO will do anything not to do any work!

disgracefull, gimme any petition, i'll sign it.

Petitions don't do squat though.

Thank's for clearing that one up Max - I was all confused for a moment :thumbsup::rolleyes:

Anyone heard anything?

I was in there today and overheard the lady behind the counter saying that the decision is today and they were just waiting for the phone call.

Bumping this old thread . The New post office in Walkley is in Beeches  shop . It opens on Monday 9th March . Its been a long journey to get this far so please use it 2020-02-27-10.19.48-1152x1536.jpg

On 02/03/2020 at 11:22, WalkleyIan said:

Bumping this old thread . The New post office in Walkley is in Beeches  shop . It opens on Monday 9th March . Its been a long journey to get this far so please use it 2020-02-27-10.19.48-1152x1536.jpg

I used it for first time today, it’s great to have a post office on South Road again.

Edited by Mister Gee

Guest makapaka
1 hour ago, Mister Gee said:

I used it for first time today, it’s great to have a post office on South Road again.

South road definitely recovering Slowly from its mid 2000 slump.

the rose house is up for lease so will hopefully get a spruce up and the new flower place is nice.

On 10/03/2020 at 20:53, makapaka said:

South road definitely recovering Slowly from its mid 2000 slump.

the rose house is up for lease so will hopefully get a spruce up and the new flower place is nice.

Thought I’d give this thread a bump considering what’s happened to a few businesses on South Road this last month. Miss Samantha’s Vintage closed as well as joespresso, the Rose House has closed and I suppose it will be converted into flats and the one that’s really saddened me is Beeches butchers. I’d used that butchers before Chris took it on from Dave and Beryl in 2010 and although someone has took on the rest of the shop it just felt soulless without the butchers counter when I popped into the post office today. 

Guest makapaka
2 hours ago, Mister Gee said:

Thought I’d give this thread a bump considering what’s happened to a few businesses on South Road this last month. Miss Samantha’s Vintage closed as well as joespresso, the Rose House has closed and I suppose it will be converted into flats and the one that’s really saddened me is Beeches butchers. I’d used that butchers before Chris took it on from Dave and Beryl in 2010 and although someone has took on the rest of the shop it just felt soulless without the butchers counter when I popped into the post office today. 

The rose house could be a great pub in the right hands - smack bang in Walkley - get some decent beers on and it would get used no problem.

it’s had its windows boarded up for 6 months so who would go in there now.

don’t get the jospresso thing shutting down - always seemed busy to me.

the vintage shop - shame.

as for beeches - as a butcher it was great the rest of the shop just sold stuff you could buy cheaper across the road - hopefully new owners get that moving.