A57 closed towards Ladybower at Rivelin - Fatal motorcycle / HGV accident 3/7/06

Please can we show some respect? This was a fatal accident just outside Sheffield and the likelihood is that somebody reading this knows or is related to the deceased.

Thank you.

Condolences to the family but I can hardly say I'm surprised. I use this road a hell of a lot and often see motocyclists exceeding the limit - maybe sometimes 70-80MPH on stretches. A little further up the road near entering the peak district is where I've seen the worst driving. About 4 years ago on the snake pass I was literally centimeters from having a speeding motorcyclist come through my windscreen as he overtook on a bend and came onto my side of the road. I was doing about 40MPH and would say from experience he was doing over 70. This combined speed would have surely killed us both and for what? Being a little late? Or maybe for a little adrenalin rush from the cyclist?
I've been trying to resist posting until now, we should show respect for the family. This is a Sheffield based site and that rider was more than likely from Sheffield, so your comments may be noticed by their family.

In the same sentence as your condolences are offered you state you are hardly suprised? I know this is a public discussion forum, but use a bit of sense and spare them from criticism of their dead relative. If you want to discuss such things it may be better to start another thread in the intersts of the others involved in this.

I won't even try to guess what happened or why yesterday. I am sorry that someone has died and I think we should respect their relatives and not be having a dig at the riders on that road, or if you feel you must start a thread about riders on that road.

Also bear in mind, there are many occasions where people can lose control at legal speeds or when riding sensibly. Blowouts, crappy Sheffield Roads, mud, horse poo, animals, all sorts. It's not our place to judge this person and I am certainly not doing that, but please keep in mind that they could very well have not been at any fault in this at all.

It enrages me when I see adverts telling motorists to always look out for motor bikes. Then you see them weaving in and out of cars in the overtaking lanes on the M1 doing 30mph more than everyone else.:loopy:
Not all motorcyclists are the same and those adverts are great to make drivers more aware of motorcyclists that many times they just don't see or realise they are there, even when riding legally and safely.

Not all bikers ride like idiots.

I apologise if this causes offence, I am not intending to do so but was slightly miffed at someone posting in the way above in such a thread.

Not all bikers ride like idiots.

True, only an hour ago as I was coming down the slip road from Prince of Wales road onto the parkway, an LGV swerved into me.

No indication, I think he realised it was the turn off he wanted (onto the parkway markets) a little bit late.

If I hadnt been paying attention, I wouldnt have been here to post this now.

Condolences to the famly.

Thanks to some of the respectful people on here considering the drivers friends and family!!

I knew the driver and he is a lovely and very well thought of local Sheffield man, only 38 years old!!

No one can point the finger or suggest blame!

There are good and bad drivers all over the world and at risk of upsetting a very wonderful local family please don't comment further!

This was a terrible accident and was a very well thought of man and deserves more respect!

Thanks to some of the respectful people on here considering the drivers friends and family!!

I knew the driver and he is a lovely and very well thought of local Sheffield man, only 38 years old!!

There are good and bad drivers all over the world and at risk of upsetting a very wonderful local family please don't comment further!

This was a terrible accident and was a very well thought of man and deserves more respect!

Well as seen as it been neally 5 years since the last post before you dug this thread up, i think commenting any further wasn't really a issue anymore.

Hang on a moment caroline- this thread is about a crash which happened in 2006. If you're looking for the thread about the crash yesterday which resulted in the death of the man riding the bike on Rivelin road itself then that is here. It was closed because people were naming the man who died, which is a bit soon bearing in mind how many people could find out that their loved one is dead on an internet forum.

No-one has commented since July 2006. :confused:

Having read the thread, in which no-one commented at all on the other injured party I wonder if the lorry driver made a full recovery? Physically or emotionally?

natjack - I think she's posted on the wrong thread. She meant to comment on the Rivelin Valley Rd fatal.

MODS - Can we close this thread before any more confusion/replies occur?