A57 closed towards Ladybower at Rivelin - Fatal motorcycle / HGV accident 3/7/06

Just come back to Hillsborough from Lodge Moor, and the A57 out to Ladybower is closed from the end of the Rivelin Valley Road due to a fatal accident.

If you're thinking about heading out that way, the best advice is probably don't, at least for a bit.

No more details yet, but condolences to the families of the victim or victims.

Was the accident on the infamous corner? Condolences to the family(s).

Sounds very nasty. From the South Yorkshire Police appeals section:

Police are urgently seeking witnesses to a fatal road traffic collision on the A57 Manchester Road, Moscar, in which a motorcyclist died.

The collision between a motorcycle and a yellow Volvo FN12 Large Goods Vehicle (LGV) occurred approximately 250m the Glossop side of the Norfolk Arms public house at around 1442 hrs on Monday 3 July 2006.

It is reported that the Volvo LGV was travelling along Manchester Road towards Derbyshire. The motorcycle, which is believed to be a Beula, was travelling in the opposite direction towards Sheffield.

As the motorcycle travelled through a series on bends in the road, that are governed by a central double white line, which prohibits overtaking. It is believed that the motorcycle has crossed over the white lines on a sweeping left hand bend and collided head on with the LGV.

The impact of the collision caused both vehicles to catch fire, with the motorcycle and the LGV being badly damaged by the fire.

The motorcyclist is believed to be male, but at this stage the deceased has not been formally identified.

The driver of the LGV, a 64 year old man from Hope Valley, was uninjured in the incident.

The collision caused the closure of the A57 from the roads junction with Riverlin Valley Road and from the junction of the A6013 at Bamford. The road remained closed until shortly after 1800hrs yesterday evening as officers from the Collision Investigation Branch conducted their enquiries in to the collision.

Police would like to hear from anyone who may have witnessed the collision or had seen either vehicle immediately prior to the crash occurring.

Police would also like to speak with a woman motorist who was driving a small, possibly green coloured, saloon car that was travelling towards Sheffield. It is believed that the woman stopped at the scene immediately the collision, but left prior to police arrival.

Witnesses are asked to please contact the South Yorkshire Police Accident Witness Line on Sheffield 0114 2202970.

Obviously condolences to the families involved. I use this road nearly every day to travel to work in Wilmslow and was caught up in this yesterday. From the Manchester end the police had closed the road off just below the Ladybower Inn. This in itself caused a few problems as many cars were then having to do a U-turn on the bridge and head back through Bamford and then through Hathersage. Two thoughts occur, would it not have been better to close the Bamforth road to through traffic at the Marquis a Gramby, alternative could they not have closed the A57 at the turn off to the Stines Inn and therefore allowed the traffic back to Sheffield via that alternative route?

It's a dangerous bit of road and there are many accidents on there.

Condolences to all involved, it's a terrible thing to happen and one which I know my own family worry about every time I ride my bike.

RIP and condolences to the family.

I'm not saying that it was the case in this incident, but sadly there are just too many idiotic drivers who take ridiculous and unnecessary risks when overtaking on roads such as the A57, putting themselves, and more selfishly others, in jeopardy.

I'm not saying that it was the case in this incident, but sadly there are just too many idiotic drivers who take ridiculous and unnecessary risks when overtaking on roads such as the A57, putting themselves, and more selfishly others, in jeopardy.

There'd be less inclination for people to overtake if there weren't so many people (who only come out at this time of year) who seem to think 35 to 40mph is a sensible speed for that road.

There'd be less inclination for people to overtake if there weren't so many people (who only come out at this time of year) who seem to think 35 to 40mph is a sensible speed for that road.

That road offers plenty of stretches that permit over taking legilly and safely tho.

That road offers plenty of stretches that permit over taking legilly and safely tho.

It does???!

Several, although it sounds overtaking has not caused this accident.

Condolences to the family but I can hardly say I'm surprised. I use this road a hell of a lot and often see motocyclists exceeding the limit - maybe sometimes 70-80MPH on stretches. A little further up the road near entering the peak district is where I've seen the worst driving. About 4 years ago on the snake pass I was literally centimeters from having a speeding motorcyclist come through my windscreen as he overtook on a bend and came onto my side of the road. I was doing about 40MPH and would say from experience he was doing over 70. This combined speed would have surely killed us both and for what? Being a little late? Or maybe for a little adrenalin rush from the cyclist?

It enrages me when I see adverts telling motorists to always look out for motor bikes. Then you see them weaving in and out of cars in the overtaking lanes on the M1 doing 30mph more than everyone else.:loopy:

If you want to get past one vehicle, yes. Problems occur when a particularly slow moving vehicle trap a long tail of vehicles, often with several cars who might like to go a _bit_ faster but are not inclined to overtake immediately behind, and some nutter in a repmobile trying to get ahead of the whole queue on one of the two or three likely places. This is a dangerous combination...

If the slow types went just a little quicker, and the nutters (especially motorbikes) obeyed solid white lines, it would be safe.

I generally prefer the Snake to the Woodhead though as the standard of driving is better IMHO. I've seen accidents on the Snake, but people have tried to kill me on the Stocksbridge bypass (not realising that the third lane disappears etc.)