Jump to content


Does Sheffield Need To Import Brickies Ect?

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, Jim Hardie said:

Most sparkys don't earn owt like 80k, especially in Sheffield. Construction is the worst area of work I've had the pleasure to be involved with. Frequently get let down last minute with jobs postponed or cancelled, get people trying to knock your price down and then chasing payments can sometimes be a nightmare. Plus my bloody back hurts frequently and I can be laid up for 2/3 days when it goes. 

 

People who have been unemployed for a certain length of time can retrain to be electricians and I believe can get their courses paid for up to a certain level. But most people who go on these courses and pass their exams will struggle to get someone to give them any sort of apprenticeship or work experience as nobody wants the responsibility of spending time with them, teaching and mentoring.

 

Apprenticeships in trades are few and far between and the quality varies enormously. Some young uns who are at college on day/block release get treat like absolute dogsbodys during actual work time and are expected to do tasks that bear no relevance to their trade. Some young uns don't get paid properly and are often working without proper PPE etc.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, bungleboy69 said:

Most sparkys don't earn owt like 80k, especially in Sheffield. Construction is the worst area of work I've had the pleasure to be involved with. Frequently get let down last minute with jobs postponed or cancelled, get people trying to knock your price down and then chasing payments can sometimes be a nightmare. Plus my bloody back hurts frequently and I can be laid up for 2/3 days when it goes. 

 

People who have been unemployed for a certain length of time can retrain to be electricians and I believe can get their courses paid for up to a certain level. But most people who go on these courses and pass their exams will struggle to get someone to give them any sort of apprenticeship or work experience as nobody wants the responsibility of spending time with them, teaching and mentoring.

 

Apprenticeships in trades are few and far between and the quality varies enormously. Some young uns who are at college on day/block release get treat like absolute dogsbodys during actual work time and are expected to do tasks that bear no relevance to their trade. Some young uns don't get paid properly and are often working without proper PPE etc.

 

 

 

 

I believe you. 

Workers, skilled or otherwise, get very little respect in this country, though it's their hard work and endurance that has built this country literally from the ground up. We owe them, and should be grateful.

As we found out during the pandemic it was these everyday workers that kept this country running.  Often the lowest paid workers are the ones we can't do without, yet they receive no awards, and are regarded as unimportant and disposable. They've had enough. No wonder they aren't breaking down the doors to get back to work...

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, bungleboy69 said:

Most sparkys don't earn owt like 80k, especially in Sheffield. Construction is the worst area of work I've had the pleasure to be involved with. Frequently get let down last minute with jobs postponed or cancelled, get people trying to knock your price down and then chasing payments can sometimes be a nightmare. Plus my bloody back hurts frequently and I can be laid up for 2/3 days when it goes. 

 

People who have been unemployed for a certain length of time can retrain to be electricians and I believe can get their courses paid for up to a certain level. But most people who go on these courses and pass their exams will struggle to get someone to give them any sort of apprenticeship or work experience as nobody wants the responsibility of spending time with them, teaching and mentoring.

 

Apprenticeships in trades are few and far between and the quality varies enormously. Some young uns who are at college on day/block release get treat like absolute dogsbodys during actual work time and are expected to do tasks that bear no relevance to their trade. Some young uns don't get paid properly and are often working without proper PPE etc.

 

 

 

 

Most of the content uploaded by miggypop is American so the 80k could be dollars.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

British jobs for British people. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I wonder if these imported bricklayers could build furnaces , kilns and other intricate works that Sheffield trained bricklayers was expected to do not so many years ago , or do they just lay one on top of another a semi skilled job .

Edited by cuttsie
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, cuttsie said:

I wonder if these imported bricklayers could build furnaces , kilns and other intricate works that Sheffield trained bricklayers was expected to do not so many years ago , or do they just lay one on top of another a semi skilled job .

and  here  dear reader is the problem ...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NicolaJayne said:

and  here  dear reader is the problem ...

indeed.

As with most jobs, I expect there's a great deal more to it than just 'laying one brick on top of another'...

But what it does show is the general lack of understanding and respect for other workers. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Anna B said:

indeed.

As with most jobs, I expect there's a great deal more to it than just 'laying one brick on top of another'...

But what it does show is the general lack of understanding and respect for other workers. 

Many people seem to think a bricklayer just lays bricks to a line without knowing the knowledge an apprentice trained bricklayer has.

A very skilled trade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, cuttsie said:

I wonder if these imported bricklayers could build furnaces , kilns and other intricate works that Sheffield trained bricklayers was expected to do not so many years ago , or do they just lay one on top of another a semi skilled job .

Oh happy days! After leaving school I had the pleasure of working for a firm which relined Sheffield and Rotherham’s steel furnaces as a bricklayers labourer. Top skilled men working 12 hour shifts ( except for a pub visit)  in horrendous conditions but never  forgot how they always met deadlines and the end product was top class

sad to say a proportion of todays brickies are  division 4 by comparison and you’ve only got to look at the quality or lack of on new builds 

soooo …. Whilst ever clients continue to accept shoddy finishes and look for the cheap option the import of them there foreigners is maybe not the answer…. We maybe need to encourage youngsters to take up  the trade and subsidise their apprenticeships cos few firms want to know or can afford

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Man in Crete said:

<snip>

soooo …. Whilst ever clients continue to accept shoddy finishes and look for the cheap option the import of them there foreigners is maybe not the answer…. We maybe need to encourage youngsters to take up  the trade and subsidise their apprenticeships cos few firms want to know or can afford


the shoddy finish is the pressure to deliver  *barely acceptable* product  in the shortest possible  time 

i get the impression that especially  for  Brickies   because aren't the big  firms to train  people in the same way  as we might see with  electrics  or plumbing   
 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Years ago I was talking to an old bricklayer about the old buildings with beautiful brickwork and the bond styles, not just stretcher bond. 

His reason for the change to basic brickwork was when bonus schemes came in. ( cavity walls also brought in changes)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Workmen / craftsmen used to get a great deal of personal satisfaction from a job well done, to a high standard.

Sadly that's also something that's missing in the modern world. Even that little nugget of joy has been taken from them, with all the pressure to turn a fast buck.

Edited by Anna B

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
√ó
√ó
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.