Motorsport in Norfolk park

Does anyone remember the hill climb or sprint that took place in the mid to early 1970s?

The cars and maybe some motorbikes started near the gate on Norfolk Park Road before heading up the avenue towards the bowling greens, onto the grass and up towards the cafe.

Anyone compete in the event?

Anyone even remember the event?

I remember going with my dad. Don't know what year it was & I can only remember the bikes - but the great thing was after a while you could id what was coming up by the exhaust note!

The hill climbs are a bit before my time but i remember the box car races they used to have down there. I'm guessing that would be the early 80's.

Three wheeler Morgans I remember.

O think they were stopped due to complaints about noise from people on the council estate.

Yes I remember going to one sprint meeting there - mid 70's. Good day out. Pity we get nowt like that now.

Nuf said.

Not motor sport but cycling. I seem to recall we always went to see the Milk Race weave its way through NP

Does anyone remember the hill climb or sprint that took place in the mid to early 1970s?

The cars and maybe some motorbikes started near the gate on Norfolk Park Road before heading up the avenue towards the bowling greens, onto the grass and up towards the cafe.

Anyone compete in the event?

Anyone even remember the event?

It must have been about 1975 and somewhere I have a few motorbike pictures of it

I had a quick think about trying to restart this recently, then gave up in a pool of dejection (is there such a thing?) when I realised that our social housed breathren would see it as a compo cash cow to be milked dry. It was the thought of things like "Your noisy cars have broken my 84" plasma screen and sky box so I demand you buy me another ors I'll break your legs etc." Stereotype I know but enough to make me look for other venues :(

A quick Google has netted me results and BTD's from 1973 to 1975, but no photos. Anybody got anything they can post?

my sister has just asked me if the army where there??.

if so then she was the first one to try the climb!!!

As a member of the North Midland Motor Club I helped to organise this hillclimb.It was run in conjuction with Shefield Motor Festival.

I know that Binny Baker of the Yorkshire Film Archives has film of this event - but I have not seen it.

I remember humping hundreds of straw bales.

I believe that this event cost NMMC a fortune and may well have led to its demise a few years later.

It must have been about 1975 and somewhere I have a few motorbike pictures of it

Could I suggest that you find the photographs. Scan them then post them on FaceBook so that everyone can share your good fortune with you. Thank you.