Home birth thread

Had a planned home birth with my 3rd and it was great. Baby was born at 11.45pm, midwives went home about 1am after cleaning everything up and taking some lovely photos of us with the new baby. We went to sleep in our own bed. Our 4 year old daughter came in to the bedroom at 6.45am to find that the baby had popped out, gave him lots of cuddles then, full of excitement even though it wasn't a girl, went to wake up her wee brother. The two of them joined husband and I in our bed and we all spent a blissful morning getting to know the new baby.

The midwife team in the area where I live in Sheffield provide a fantastic one to one service and are very keen on home births so I was totally comfortable with it. Husband hated the idea but went along with it as it was what I wanted.

My first two labours were very quick. We only just made it through the door of the delivery ward the second time and the rush to hospital and stress of trying to park were no fun. Home birth seemed like a much better idea. It also meant that I'd have a midwife with me during my labour. I'd only had a midwife with me once we got to hospital the first two times. Most of the time I was in labour was spent at home or in the car with only my husband present. This time I phoned the midwife as soon as I went into labour and she was with me the whole time - all 35 minutes!

that sounds so nice cryinglion I do hope I can persuade my oh. I just think it'd be nice to get our dd involved with the whole birthing process as well as the relaxation part of it!

that sounds so nice cryinglion I do hope I can persuade my oh. I just think it'd be nice to get our dd involved with the whole birthing process as well as the relaxation part of it!

There is, of course, the argument that you know your own body and although the baby is made by two, you are the one squeezing it out! After all, if needs be, you can change your mind on the day.

I know that and I agree with you Zweena, but at the end of the day it's his baby too and if he just doesn't feel at all comfortable about us having it at home then we wont. I'd like to have the baby at home but it's not the be all and end all. I had Reise in hospital and it was fine so either way I'm sure it'll be fine xx

I know that and I agree with you Zweena, but at the end of the day it's his baby too and if he just doesn't feel at all comfortable about us having it at home then we wont. I'd like to have the baby at home but it's not the be all and end all. I had Reise in hospital and it was fine so either way I'm sure it'll be fine xx

Yeah, I know what you mean. It's always going to be a kind of joint decision. You could always negotiate and agree to be at home for the most of it and only go in if needs must.

I have two children and cant understand anyone seriously considering a home birth. I'm sure the risks are very very small but surely all you want at the end of it is a healthy baby and any risk can't be worth it. The best place to be, should anything go wrong, has got to be hospital.

Male & Medical perspective!!

(For those of you who don't already know I'm Cryinglion's other half)

You'll already have seen Cryinglion's post and thoughts about having a home birth. I can't admit to being all that keen on it from both a male and medical point of view. However, there is no doubt that the majority of women in this world give birth without any significant intervention. A combination of medics and midwives have tried to medicalise what is in essence a fairly natural process. Given how keen she was to give birth at home I felt that I really didn't have the heart to argue. After all she was the one who would be getting all the pain etc., but it is very difficult watching your other half struggling through labour.

In Sheffield there is an excellent set up for home delivery with midwives who are very experienced. If they think there is any problems with either you or the baby they will organise hospitalisation very quickly.

If it helps your other half, let him know how important it is to you. He is no doubt scared for you and baby and probably will be in no position to help (which makes us guys feel really useless) but if you're in hospital we at least know we can shout for some!

We both (and the kids the next morning) had a wonderful experience that I would not trade for anything. Our beautiful wee boy has Down's Syndrome and was born with a very large hole in his heart. He struggled to breathe but would have required no extra medical help had he been born at home or in hospital. However, in hospital he would have been carted away immediately for lots of tests and we (and the kids) would never have had quality time with him.

Unless there are good medical reasons to be in hospital I would thoroughly recommend a home birth in Sheffield. (btw the midwives clean up all the mess too!).

Male & Medical perspective!!

(For those of you who don't already know I'm Cryinglion's other half)

You'll already have seen Cryinglion's post and thoughts about having a home birth. I can't admit to being all that keen on it from both a male and medical point of view. However, there is no doubt that the majority of women in this world give birth without any significant intervention. A combination of medics and midwives have tried to medicalise what is in essence a fairly natural process. Given how keen she was to give birth at home I felt that I really didn't have the heart to argue. After all she was the one who would be getting all the pain etc., but it is very difficult watching your other half struggling through labour.

In Sheffield there is an excellent set up for home delivery with midwives who are very experienced. If they think there is any problems with either you or the baby they will organise hospitalisation very quickly.

If it helps your other half, let him know how important it is to you. He is no doubt scared for you and baby and probably will be in no position to help (which makes us guys feel really useless) but if you're in hospital we at least know we can shout for some!

We both (and the kids the next morning) had a wonderful experience that I would not trade for anything. Our beautiful wee boy has Down's Syndrome and was born with a very large hole in his heart. He struggled to breathe but would have required no extra medical help had he been born at home or in hospital. However, in hospital he would have been carted away immediately for lots of tests and we (and the kids) would never have had quality time with him.

Unless there are good medical reasons to be in hospital I would thoroughly recommend a home birth in Sheffield. (btw the midwives clean up all the mess too!).

Thanks Fragrantlion! You don't often get to hear this from a mans point of view, it's really refreshing!

Me, I'm psychologically getting ready for the day by just thinking of how much I can look forward to and how it'll be over and isn't a long lasting pain!

We went to a wedding yesterday and it turns out one of the couples at our table who we know really well recently had a home birth (we thought it was accidental home birth but it was a planned home birth) and they had nothing but positive things to say about it. We saw the midwife the other day and to be honest she made my husband more determined on a hospital birth. She said "it's only happened to me once in my years where I wished she'd

(the mum) been at the hospital and it went wrong" I asked how the baby was now and she said "who knows, seems fine now but what about when it's older?" so my oh was really adamant about not being at home now! Oh I just don't know, there's plenty of time though to decided.

I had a home birth with my only son. He was safely delivered!

Complications rarely develop suddenly, and you are still monitored whilst labouring at home - meaning that, if things aren't going well or there are some concerns, you are transferred to be closer to any help if need be. Midwives are totally prepared and trained to deal with problems that might arise, and will err on the side of caution regarding moving you closer to further assistance if needed. :)

p.s. there are statistics somewhere online to show that there is a lower infant and mother mortality rate with homebirths than hospital births, believe it or not!

Hi All

There is a Sheffield Homebirth Group meeting on 25 October, 1pm-2.30pm, at my house, Intake, Sheffield.

For further information please email me mmmbarnes@blueyonder.co.uk

Thanks

Michelle.